New iMacs 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by branded07, Feb 9, 2009.

1. branded07 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Ok I have had the cash ready to buy an iMac for a few weeks now and I am beginning to get uncontrollably impatient!

I have been reading a lot of forums, discussions and rumors about if and when Apple will release a new iMac, but all the threads seem to taper of into random chinese whisper style discussions about what is better PC/MAC...

I have heard a lot of advice from people asking a similar question and that has been to wait.

Now looking at this post:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I can see that the iMac is over its due date for a new release, but to be fair, the Mac Pro and Mac Mini have been due updates for 181 and 364 days. So I am not really keen on waiting a full year to buy an iMac.

I was hoping really then to get some advice on what to do. I can afford a top of the range iMac 3.06GHz / 4GB / 1TB. Is there likely to be any visual improvements or simply a power boost?

I have also heard March for release date, but when March comes, will the rumor then be April and so on... Any advice or help would be great! Anyone know anything?? :)

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I'd wait for the much-mooted NVIDIA iMac, whenever that's going to be released (not forgetting the Mini!)...

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

No one here knows anything, and those that do can't say.

There's a good chance that the iMacs will see a bit of a boost this year, but when this will happen is anyone's guess.

Only you can decide whether it's worth waiting so that you can have the latest and greatest, or if it's better to get the iMac now and actually be using your new computer.

4. branded07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeh your right,

Its really hard as in one hand I could hold out until March/April/May possibly until the end of the year and waste a lot of time, or I could buy now but risk that in a couple of days they could be released and the current iMac reduce in price, (in which case I would kick myself!!)

Hmm, like 70% of me is saying wait...But it is a lot of money to just spend and then regret in a few days.

I guess I am probably going to listen to that 70%, but the 30% in me had a spur of the moment need for a second opinion!!

5. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

In the same position, but in the UK.

Am thinking that although any new machines will be more advanced the downsides are:

1: They will cost quite a bit more due to the slide of the pound against the dollar

2: They may not come with Firewire (I've got Firewire drives that I use to hold clones of my Mac HD and to hold my iTunes library)

3: They may be more powerful but the existing models are powerful enough for what I do at the moment

4: If new updates come I can buy a refurb of the one out now in the refurb store.

6. ritzuk macrumors member

The top of the range 24" iMac already has an NVIDEA chipset, doesn't it?

The 24" iMac with the 8800 NVIDEA GPU is excellent. I'm only guessing, but only the bottom end iMacs are going to see a huge improvement in graphics capabilities.

I know two people with the current 24", and it really is a beast. If you can't get the one with the 8800, then definitely wait.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Intel chipset, nVidia GPU.

8. branded07 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I get one it will be the top of the range 24" with the NVIDIA card.

It isn't really the upgrade that is making me want to wait so much as the principle of buying a product then a few days later being able to get the same thing for much cheaper, or something much better for not a lot more money.

I did that recently with my Samsung Series 6...Was gutted when a week after I paid a grand for it with Blu-Ray player it was reduced to £700.00!!

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

The GPU in the Top End iMac is an nVidia 8800GTS, and seeing as there is 9800GTX Mobile Cards out now, yes there could be quite an improvement!

10. ritzuk macrumors member

This doesn't really happen with Apple products - you may see second hand ones on the refurb store, but I've never known them to discount the retired product - it's just removed from sale.

11. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

just buy it on a tuesday afternoon and you will get AT LEAST a week of having the highest end iMac Apple sells :D

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Clearance store had brand new last-gen MacBook and Macbook Pros for a time.