New iMacs high demand ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jay9495, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Jay9495 macrumors regular

Hi i am finally going to move away from windows,this is going to be my first iMac(when the new one comes out that is) and I've never really looked into previous releases, so I was just wondering is there like a 4 week wait like the iPhone or is it like a week ?

Thanks

2. mrmarts macrumors 65816

i would say they will launched the following day of release.

3. david19801 macrumors member

I say relax. The only evidence of a new imac is the motherboard picture. This could mean a release date of next march not this october. It is NOT guarantees.

4. richest macrumors regular

What?:rolleyes:

5. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Leaks are usually an indication that a release is near. Where the did you get the idea of March...?

The demand for iMacs will be somewhat equal to the release of the 15" rMBP. So it is best advised to order it immediately if you require it before a couple weeks wait time. The quantities available will probably be limited compared to the rMBP, and will be more difficult to manufacture.

6. Dillus macrumors member

Can someone maybe share their experiences with previous iMac launches? How was the availability in stores and online? Was there a long waiting period?

7. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Err, no.

Apple's Laptop sales always trump their desktop sales, why do you think the desktop line has been languishing for months without updates? I guarantee you'll be able to walk into an Apple Store and get any model you want.

What you see on Macrumors isn't an indication of how widely the public at-large want a new computer, especially if all this is going to be is a spec-bump.

----------

1) Immediate
    2) No availability problems whatsoever.

These are £2000 desktop computers, not £500 phones or iPads.

8. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

The market for desktop machines is a fraction of notebooks and Apple is pretty good about pushing out sufficient (lowered) quantities. The 27" iMacs are rumored to be coming out in a few weeks, but even if that's true you ought to be able to easily pick up base models of the new 21" iMac.

9. bobright macrumors 601

I will not be apples guinea pig this time around (see iPhone and scuff gate, will wait about two weeks.

10. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    ... so what about the rMBP which is similar in price to iMacs?

You couldn't get one for love nor money at first.

There are many, many people who have waited for a long time for this iMac refresh so I reckon the high demand will suck up any initial supples.

I'd advise to order pretty lively to avoid waiting even longer to get a refreshed iMac ...

11. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

In 2007 when the new Aluminum iMac released I got it the day after in a local Apple Store. No wait, plenty in stock.

12. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

There will be no "high" demand for iMacs unless they are limited 1 or 2 to each store at launch. iMacs are just not that popular anymore and at $1k+....it's just not going to happen.

----------

rMBP is different. More people buy laptops over desktops.

13. bobright macrumors 601

I am curious is it not recommended to purchase a iMac say online?

I was thinking of doing that when the new ones come out, most Genius annoy the hell out of me and I could do without the boatload of people in the apple store. I don't like the idea of my machine getting tossed around though.

14. VassilyTheSkin macrumors newbie

I'm in exactly the same position and wondering about initial availability. If the rumors are true I'd like to have it before the year end.
    The only other thing I'm wondering is will the Apple resellers get it the same time as the official Apple stores or slightly afterwards?

15. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Unless you Built-to-order, you will be able to find one on day one. They won't be selling out like crazy.

16. Joined:
    Sep 10, 2012
    ... there has been such a long wait for this iMac refresh which will make a difference.

I still think it's best to order early to avoid a potential disappointment.

17. ThatGreekMacGuy macrumors member

ThatGreekMacGuy

I strongly believe that the new iMac models are coming out quite soon. They will be announced on the coming Tuesday along with the iPad mini, the new Mac mini and the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. If they are not announced on Tuesday; then they'll be released in February-March for sure.

18. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Of course the demand will be huge for an iMac with Multi-touch capable Retina Display and Integrated Lapstand :D

19. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Sorry, not on a $1,200 / $1700 item.

It just doesn't happen for a market that has seen a decrease since the previous redesign.