New iMac's in what month?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, May 5, 2010.

?

What month will we see new iMacs?

1. June

11 vote(s)
    23.9%
  2. July

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. August

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. September

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  5. October

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. November or later!!!

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

In what month will we see new iMacs? Obviously this is just your best guess. Do you think there will be any new great features besides a modest speed bump?

2. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

3. pepto macrumors member

I am curious to see if they will put Arrandale i5/i7 cpu's in the 21 base 27 incher. It seems a bit silly that they are still offering older Core 2 Duo mobile chips in these desktops. Thing is that intel are reportedly having problems keeping up with demand for the new chips which makes me wonder when apple will update the line. Also, the base 21 inch iMac has integrated nvidia 9400, if they switch over to Arrandale they will either have to go with the integrated inted chip (not likely as it is a pretty bad performer) or put a discreet card in there (maybe the new 320m from the updated 13 inch mbp?).

4. jphlau macrumors newbie

where's the option for may.

since it will only be some speed bump, it will be a silent upgrade

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah yes, May... Didn't they already do a small silent upgrade with 4gb ram prices?

6. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Looks like June is the consensus. I am glad I sold my 24" Apple Cinema, and hope I don't have to wait too long for my new iMac.

7. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I would be amazed if anything happens before September and I think Oct is likely - also how I voted. iMac history has been alternating 11-8-11-8.. month cycles so the next would be September if the pattern holds. Since the MacAir and MacPro are long overdue for updates, and both need updating unlike the iMac, I suspect they would come first. It seems in 2010 macs are exceeding their historical refresh cycles - as every MBP enthusiast knows

8. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read a post you posted that said just about the same thing. I am a little worried you may be right. It seems like Apple comes out with at least one updated product once a month. Macbook air could be this week (according to rumor). Mac Pro's and iphone's in June. Mac Mini's and iMacs in July?

The thing is, they seem to really present a good value for the consumer right now, and very few things need updating, just minor bumping, so I could see it being put off for two months.

9. jphlau macrumors newbie

we are talking about imac not mbp which are just updated

10. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. blinkin182 macrumors regular

blinkin182

I can understand that they have their release cycle, but with new cpus being available, I'm hoping they'll be updating their offering, especially since they just updated their laptop line. I can see I'm not the only one holding off buying the iMac, hoping that the next generation cpus will be introduced to the 21.5 iMacs... (i5 or i7, even if only dual core)

Let's hope WWDC gives us some nice surprise :rolleyes:

12. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I believe the new CPU's are just for laptops, but I am not sure. I also think, but am not 100% sure, that the i5 and i7 quad cores in the 27" iMac are both 95w unlike the C2D's in the iMac which are 65w. The difference is heat and that may be why the i5 and i7's were not in the 21.5" iMac - the package is smaller so heat is harder to dissipate - and possibly this is why most of the yellowing iMacs were i5 and i7 models. If this is true and they worked out a way to insulate this from the monitor then this would be a welcome bump to the iMacs. However, I admit the above is just a guess on my part and like everyone else, I just do not know. All I do know is that Apple seems to be running longer than normal product cycles this year including not upgrading software like iLife 10 or iWorks 10. They do make higher profits than normal by offering last years products at last years prices. Anyway, ideally the MP and MA computers 'should' be upgraded before the iMac as they are very much overdue. I also do not put much faith in the MacBook getting updated for a while either since that makes it harder for Apple to leverage customers to the next model up, 13" base MBP, and we all know that the features, benefits and prices are all well thought out to leverage you up. For example, anti-glare is not longer available on a 15 MBP unless you get the HD version.

Anyway, I could be wrong and June could be a major month for Mac refreshes

13. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The iMac is one of their bigger money makers, so I do feel they should keep it updated. I am thinking MP and MA along with New Apple Cinema 30" in June, then iMac in July. I can wait about that long.

14. mattnotis macrumors regular

I'm REALLY hoping they update next month so I finally ditch this old iMac I've been using for the past 5 years.

15. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty even guessing for each month. Before it was heavily swayed to updates coming sooner rather than later. And now it looks like no one has a clue! I guess that is the reality of playing the waiting game, no one has a clue...