New iMacs: January or April 2009?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mac.fly, Nov 11, 2008.

  1. mac.fly macrumors regular

    mac.fly

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #1
    Nov 10 went, Nov 11 went...
    My problem:
    I would wait until January 2009 for a new (my first!) iMac.
    But I would not wait until April 2009 -- in this case I would buy an old one NOW.
    What's more likely...?
    How can I look into the future...?
    :confused:

    (Insider who are not allowed to post here please PM me--I will keep the secret, of course!)
     
  2. sam10685 macrumors 68000

    sam10685

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2006
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #2
    Calm down. Get a new one now if you need it. you're not going to have a piece of junk if a new model comes out in a few months.
     
  3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #3
    You can wait until MacWorld 2009. If nothing comes out then, buy the current iMac.
     
  4. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #4
    Or you could just wait a mere 3 months after January. ;)
     
  5. Ubundows macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2008
    #5
    Get the current ones, you never know they may end up disappointing us heavily like they did with the new MBPs.
     
  6. mac.fly thread starter macrumors regular

    mac.fly

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #6
    I didn't think this. But I wouldn't like to buy now and in 3 months need to sell again losing some hundret £s, because the new one would have these few important features which I would already want to have now.

    Well... do I need it? Good question!
    Do I need it, because these Windows crashes drive me insane? Not really -- I think I could stand this another 3 month -- bot not another 6 months!!

    Still :confused:.
     
  7. adamvk macrumors 65816

    adamvk

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    #7
    I'd say January 09 is more likely, the iMacs would be very overdue for an update if Apple waited until April. I'm in the same situation as you though, its a hard decision, especially because it will be my first Mac ever.
     
  8. mac.fly thread starter macrumors regular

    mac.fly

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    OK now I finally decided to buy a 24" 2.8 GHz iMac! :eek:
    BUT at my favourite shop, Dixons.co.uk, where it was offered
    yesterday for £1049 - £50 (voucher) = £999, it's no longer available!!! :(
    Does anyone know where to buy for the same price in the UK?
    Thanks!
     
  9. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2008
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
  10. 2Sticky macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #10
    I'm waiting for one to come up, then its mine!
     
  11. mac.fly thread starter macrumors regular

    mac.fly

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #11
  12. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

    chrmjenkins

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    CA
    #12
    I think the best time to buy is always at an upgrade. If you don't like what the upgrade has, you can get the older tech for much cheaper. If you do like it, you can be one of the first to have it.
     
  13. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2007
    Location:
    graphite clamshell
    #13
    If you don't care about anything but the speed, then buy one now.

    I'm waiting for an LED-backlit iMac, which my sources tell me will appear in about eight weeks. But if it doesn't, I'll wait. I have until the end of 2009 for the warranty on my piece-of-garbage Acer monitor to expire, so as long as I replace it before then...hey, free monitor.

    (And the monitor is connected to an old Pentium 4 machine that crashes all the time - can't wait to throw this thing off the roof)
     
  14. mac.fly thread starter macrumors regular

    mac.fly

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #14
  15. ManuelGnR macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2008
    Location:
    Netherlands
    #15
    I'm also about to buy my new iMac. I'm waiting till January '09, but if they ain't there then, I think I'll even wait longer (when I've already waited that long).. collect more money for the iMac then..:)

    But I still very hope for an update for iMac at MacWorld though..
     
  16. Smacky macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2008
    #16
    Im really hoping for an update to the graphics cards so it can play a wider range of games
     
  17. macall75 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    N.Ireland
    #17
    I too Iam in the same situation and Iam waiting till macworld fingers crossed they will update the imac, but thinking the macpro might steal the show, would like to see a pretty good graphics card in the highend imac,and led backlit display, I think you should wait, because you will be really kicking yourself if they announce something really good for it, and you never know there might even be a 26inch one released.
     
  18. 2Sticky macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #18
  19. mac.fly thread starter macrumors regular

    mac.fly

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    THANKS!!! Finally I've snapped one. :D

    Just modified my signature... :)
     
  20. 2Sticky macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #20
    Glad u got one, expected delivery is 17th, woooo.
     
  21. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

    BJMRamage

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #21
    I was going to wait as well but my Windows Box became corrupt....so I bought a new iMac. I love it, much cleaner all around, from looks to set-up.

    you wont be sorry either way.
     
  22. macall75 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    N.Ireland
    #22
    I think I'll still wait for my new imac, hopefully I'll see better graphics card, speed bump and new led LCDs, really hope they fix this gradient issue, has anyone experienced this problem? as iam a graphic designer Iam also concerned about the glossy screen, so colour accuracy could be an issue, but for everything else it will be amazing, the design is so simple and elegant and really love the glass screen as Iam so sick of fingerprints on lcds.
     
  23. 2Sticky macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #23
    Im also a graphic designer, I think as long as you calibrate the screen you should be ok.
     
  24. macall75 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2006
    Location:
    N.Ireland
    #24
    Ive got Calibration software, so I'll try it out when I get it. Iam going to have too, if I want to do colour critical work.
     
  25. 2Sticky macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #25
    What software are you going to use?
     

Share This Page