New iMac's keyboard cable is too short

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jjost, Mar 28, 2013.

1. jjost macrumors newbie

I need a USB extension cable for my new iMac's wired keyboard, but I can't figure out which one to buy. The ones that I have found either don't work with Apple keyboards (they don't transmit enough power?), or they have a "notch" on the female end that prevents my keyboard cable from plugging into it. Anyone have any cable extension recommendations?

Thanks,
    John

2. jjost thread starter macrumors newbie

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

4. jjost thread starter macrumors newbie

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

I haven't used this cable, personally (I don't have a wired Apple keyboard). All I can tell you is you just need a USB 2.0 extension cable. The keyboard isn't USB 3.0.

There's always a few cables out there that don't work, of any product. If it were me, I'd buy that cable and if it doesn't work - send it back. But that's just me.

6. jjost thread starter macrumors newbie

You may be correct, but the USB 2.0 extension cable that I have works with my work PC's keyboard, but not work with my iMac keyboard. That would seem to suggest that there is more going on.

John

7. BSoares macrumors regular

My wired keyboard came with an extension... Maybe because it was purchased by itself and not a keyboard that just came with the iMac? I initially ordered it with wireless keyboard but wanted the extra keys so bought the wired by itself and it comes with an extension.

8. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if you ordered a brand new iMac with wired keyboard there should be an extension cable in there with it as well. regardless of retail boxed keyboard or one included with the Mac, all have the extension cable.

but any USB extension cable will suffice

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

This must be a recent thing...the iMac I bought in 2009 came with the full size wired keyboard, but there was no extension cable with it.

10. jjost thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought my 27" iMac with a wired keyboard just this January, and no extension cord was included with the keyboard.

John

11. tuccillo macrumors member

We went to the local Apple store to exchange the wireless keyboard for the wired (wife likes a keypad) and they handed us the wired keyboard box - there was an extension cable in the box.

12. jjost thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange that Apple would include the extension cord with a separately purchased wired keyboard, but not one when the wired keyboard is purchased with the iMac!

John

13. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

thats definitely odd.
    Id call up apple and request one. All the Mac Pros and iMacs we've ordered for clients have included the extension with wired keyboards.

14. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I guess they figure that the attached cable is sufficient for the iMacs. My desk is 32" deep. The iMac is at the back and the keyboard is at the front, with some cable slack remaining. The extension with the boxed keyboard is probably for use with an under the desk Mac Pro.