New iMacs launched

Discussion in 'iMac' started by leerichards1, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leerichards1 macrumors regular

Apple Updates iMac
    CUPERTINO, California—September 24, 2013—Apple® today updated iMac® with fourth generation Intel quad-core processors, new graphics, next generation Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage options. The updated iMac brings the latest technology to the stunningly thin design and gorgeous display of the world’s leading all-in-one desktop.

“iMac continues to be the example that proves how beautiful, fast and fun a desktop computer can be,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Inside its ultra-thin aluminum enclosure, the new iMac has the latest Intel processors, faster graphics, next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi and faster PCIe flash storage.”

The entry-level 21.5-inch iMac features a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and new Iris Pro graphics for unprecedented levels of integrated graphics performance. The high-end 21.5-inch model and both 27-inch models feature quad-core Intel Core i5 processors up to 3.4 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce 700 series graphics with twice the video memory and up to 40 percent faster performance than the previous generation.* Customers looking for the ultimate in performance can upgrade to quad-core Intel Core i7 processors up to 3.5 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M series graphics with up to 4GB of video memory.

iMac now supports next generation 802.11ac Wi-Fi. When connected to an 802.11ac base station, iMac delivers wireless performance that is up to three times faster than the previous generation.

The updated iMac now features support for PCIe-based flash storage that makes Fusion Drive and all-flash storage options up to 50 percent faster than the previous generation.* The popular Fusion Drive option combines the large storage capacity of a hard drive with the high performance of flash to deliver shorter boot times and faster access to apps and files. Customers can configure their iMac with a 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, and all-flash storage options are now available in configurations up to 1TB.

iMac comes standard with 8GB of memory and a 1TB hard drive, and customers can choose to configure their iMac with up to 32GB of memory and up to a 3TB hard drive. iMac also comes with two Thunderbolt and four USB 3.0 ports for connecting to external storage and other high performance peripherals.

Continuing Apple’s commitment to energy efficiency and the environment, iMac meets stringent Energy Star 5.2 requirements and achieves an EPEAT Gold rating.** iMac features LED-backlit displays that are mercury-free and made with arsenic-free glass. iMac includes PVC-free components and cables, contains no brominated flame retardants, and uses highly recyclable materials and material-efficient packaging designs.

iMac ships with OS X® Mountain Lion, bringing Messages, Notification Center, system-wide Sharing, AirPlay® Mirroring, Dictation, Game Center and the enhanced security of Gatekeeper to your Mac®. With iCloud® built into the foundation of OS X, Mountain Lion makes it easier than ever to keep your content up to date across your Mac, iPhone®, iPad® and iPod touch®.

Pricing & Availability
    The new iMac is available today through the Apple Online Store (www.apple.com), Apple’s retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. The 21.5-inch iMac is available with a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.2 GHz and Intel Iris Pro for a suggested retail price of $1,299 (US); and with a 2.9 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M for a suggested retail price of $1,499 (US). The 27-inch iMac is available with a 3.2 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.6 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 755M for a suggested retail price of $1,799 (US); and with a 3.4 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 with Turbo Boost speeds up to 3.8 GHz and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M for a suggested retail price of $1,999 (US). Additional technical specifications, configure-to-order options and accessories are available online at www.apple.com/imac.

*Testing conducted by Apple in September 2013 using preproduction iMac configurations. For more information visit www.apple.com/imac/features.
    **Claim based on energy efficiency categories and products listed within the EPA Energy Star 5.2 energy database as of September 2013. EPEAT is an independent organization that helps customers compare the environmental performance of notebooks and desktops. Products meeting all of the required criteria and at least 75 percent of the optional criteria are recognized as EPEAT Gold products. The EPEAT program was conceived by the US EPA and is based on IEEE 1680 standard for Environmental Assessment of Personal Computer Products. For more information visit www.epeat.net.

Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple has reinvented the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices with iPad.

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

4GB graphics card. NICE! Be interesting to see benchmarks on this bad boy, and whether we can pop in the 802.11ac wifi card in the late-2012 iMac!

3. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Yep, as of right now Apple's iMac page isn't updated, but the store page is!

5. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Oh God! 1TB Flash Storage? Now thats KING!!!. Uhmm except for one thing, I'm broke and can't afford the beautifull full spec machine :(

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

That graphics card… *drool…..* Be interesting to see how it fares at 1440p with that extra memory, or if it's like the other 780M parts and it's just a ~10% speed improvement over the 680MX 2GB.

Still… *drooooool!*

7. Serban Suspended

Now fusion drive is less 50$ ? Nice
    and finally the 21.5" got Geforce 750M 1G vRam

8. ifraaank macrumors regular

ifraaank

It seems like you can't get the new one with i7? Am i right?

9. Fietsbel macrumors member

only the high end 21,5 and 27" model

10. mrmarts macrumors 65816

I am still in the market to get a new desktop I have been waiting patiently if I can hold out till next year as new port revisions will be coming for both USB 3.0 and thunderbolt. In fact the thunderbolt 2.0 port with 4k capabilities might introduce a retina display, but I have been without a desktop since may this year so the 4gb nvidia card might be enough to entice me in.

11. Serban Suspended

what are the differences in prices? anybody know? or all are the same?

12. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

So what do you guys recommend for future-proofing for graphics use/gaming?

This?

3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
    512GB Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4GB GDDR5

13. urtules macrumors member

urtules

just ordered

Oh no, my dad just ordered one last sunday.
    Apple promised to deliver it ~ October 12
    He ordered it from Apple Online Store in Moscow Russia.

14. Serban Suspended

8 G RAM is ok for now and later you can add yourself for 27" is the easiest way
    And with the Fusion drive now you dont really need 512 SSD only...Fusion Drive is (PCIe+1T HDD)

15. APhillyApple macrumors regular

Wow, I wish I was in the market to need a new iMac. I am about 2-3 years away. On a different note, I am super excited for what is in store by then.

This is a beastly machine!!!

16. WilliamG macrumors 604

I imagine he'll get upgraded automatically to the new one. Either way, if it wasn't going to be delivered till October 12, it's easy to change the order.

17. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

So despite the jump from 680 to 780 for gfx, is there significance in the fact the 680 was MX and the 780 is just M?

18. Serban Suspended

780 just M but with higher core CPU and double vRAM....and upcoming Maveriks

19. Kendo macrumors 68000

How does 750M compare to 680MX?

20. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Hey, look! A silent, underwhelming update in late September/early October with:
    -Intel graphics on the base model
    -Fusion not standard
    -Wireless & SSD speed bumps
    -Very minor increase in top end video performance

#Nostradamus

----------

It doesn't.

21. Tweak3D macrumors regular

22. Kendo macrumors 68000

Well I guess that was to be expected. After all, I was comparing a mid-range 21.5" GPU to last year's top-end configuration CPU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.