New iMacs more like cinema displays?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rlnplehshalo, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2011
    I saw a few others suggesting that the iMacs new refresh design would be aimed at the cinema display, which would really look great and keep it fresh in my opinion.
    This would also open up screen realestate without having to raise the horizontal height of the machine:)

Screen sizes with a possible removal of the apple logo chin, could possibly range up to 30"(HOPING!)

I've also heard that the NVIDIA geforce GTX680m has been delaying release, which I have researched myself and has the capability to have 4GB dedicated video memory! This would easily be able to handle a bump in pixel density if Apple goes with a retina display.
    Couple the amazing GPU with the new Ivy bridge Intel i7's and you have one powerful iMac!

Although I have one point to outline that may prevent Apple from using the cinema display style bezel, the logo. Where would Apple put it? A small one on the bezel?
    What do you think about it all? Throw some ideas!
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I never understood why the chin was necessary in the first place. It's still ugly even years after it debuted.
  3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Feb 6, 2009
    I can see the 27" going without the chin, that's probably been possible for a while but Apple wanted to keep it the same as the smaller one.

I wouldn't set my heart on retina displays for the iMacs just yet. I think it would be technically possible but I can't see it being a standard feature yet, just too expensive.
  4. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2011
    hmm I have to agree there. Although what would really make me bow down and praise Cook and Ive right now is if it had an 'edge to edge' monitor like some televisions have.
  5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2011
    If the ODD is removed, they can easily get rid of the chip. With the ODD retained, they can also do it if they want to do it.

Just make the iMac look like an Apple Thunderbolt Display when viewed from the front! They can then call it AGAIN an awesome all-in-one computer! That will attract many other companies to follow.

In the next step, they can add a retina display to the iMac, an awesome all-in-one computer AGAIN.
  6. iamdavekennedy, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

iamdavekennedy macrumors regular

May 14, 2012
    London / Belfast
    I seem to be the only person on this forum who LOVES the 'chin' I think from a design and aesthetics standpoint it's beautiful it looks sophisticated and unites the Apple line with it's block silver/black style.

I know some people have issues with it not lining up correctly with the cinema displays and that irks them, but as a standalone bit of design it's superb.

I have to say, if they got rid of it and went edge to edge in black, it'd be hard to see it as a jawdropping design and rather 'another black monitor that looks remarkably like a small television set'.

Surely I'm not alone in this?
  7. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2012
    You're not! I like the chin too!
  8. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2011
    I think that the simpler and neater the iMac is from the front, the more attractive it is.

I think that the Apple Cinema Display appears much better than many other displays because we just see an Apple logo besides the screen from the front, with the camera barely noticeable.

On other displays, we can see words at the upper-left and upper-right corners and at the mid-center; we may also see buttons and labels. They are un-aesthetic.

In this line of reasoning, the iMac with a chin is un-aesthetic because the white (gray) chin stands out from the black bezel and the screen. The chin should not compete with the bezel and the screen for attraction.
  9. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I hope they keep the ODD. I still buy CDs since not everything is available on iTunes or Amazon.
  10. Matador Red macrumors member

Apr 28, 2012
    It was most likely a compromise. They could have done without the chin but the iMac would have been considerably thicker to house all the components. I don't really see how this is hard to understand.
  11. Mister Bumbo macrumors 6502

Apr 30, 2012
    Then there's also the factor that it should look like a computer. Not a wise marketing move to design a computer that people might just walk past, thinking it's a screen and nothing else.
  12. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Feb 12, 2012
    Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
    i personaly ouldnt buy a new ic if it didn't have a "chin"
  13. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2006
    I think an iMac without the chin would look fantastic.