New iMacs - Not going to happen (soon)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Intel Inside, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Intel Inside macrumors 6502

I hate to be the one to break it, but the new iMacs aren't coming within the next 2 months. apple almost always update their desktops in the april to july period. (with the exception of the MP)

Please leave an 'I agree' or 'Yup Have to agree' or something along the lines of that below if you think that my "theory" is true

Thanks Guys!!

2. JonMcDonald macrumors member

I agree right now. In my opinion, the marketing team needs to spend it's resources and time pushing the MacBook and MacBookPros right now. I feel that two-three months down the road we'll see the new iMac. Plus, everyone who went and bought a new MB, or MBP, are probably tight in the wallet right now. Three months down, tax returns come for a lot of people, as well as rejuvenated wallets, and the desire for a new machine again. :)

3. fa8362 macrumors 65816

I don't necessarily agree. From what I've read, iMacs are in short supply. That's a dead giveaway that updates are coming soon.

4. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

Deja vu.

This happened last year around November time

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Funny thing is, the notebooks were updated more recently than the desktops.

6. Intel Inside thread starter macrumors 6502

What Jon basically was trying to say is that people don't have money because they spent it on the macbooks. So they are going to wait until they Do have some money. then they will update the iMacs/Mac minis'

7. tingly macrumors 6502

Sort of agree. Of the last 4 updates before June, 2 were Jan/feb and 2 were april/may.

8. iMacmatician macrumors 601

What about the people who didn't (and I'm sure that's by far the majority)?

9. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I would agree to not agree as well. Simply due to that fact alone, I don't think the OP's theory holds water this time round.

10. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I don't think the timing of past announcements is a good predictor of the future, since they seem to have been varying timing of late.

I think the fact that the entire desktop line is nearly a year old suggests that updates will happen quite soon. Maybe this month, maybe next month.

BTW, as for supply, the apple online store says immediate shipping on all iMac models, which seems a bit curious to me.

11. Nickgk macrumors newbie

They will be updated allright.. Wait for maximum one month and you will see.

End of Feb or first week of March, tops.

12. JonMcDonald macrumors member

While the majority of the people may not have all gone and bought a new MB, or MBP, it is clear that currently apple is spending it's marketing budget on pushing the MB, MBP, and the iPod family. (I'm not sure if it's Apple or AT&T who pays for iPhone advertising, probably some deal struck there). When the new iMac is released I feel that a company like Mac will want to spend it's marketing budget focusing on the iMac. Thus I see at least one or two more months of advertising for the MB/MBP before the new iMac is released.

By doing so they've about tapped the market for people who wanted to upgrade their laptops/macbooks/powerbooks/etc, and now it's time to move to the people who want to upgrade their desktop. By waiting, they can also target the cult following, who have saved up enough money again to go and purchase the new iMac.

Just my opinion/guess.

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

The longest they've had a cycle in the last 6 years (and maybe more) was 11 months, and that was before a redesign.

Those aren't a reliable source for predicting a release date.

14. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Well don't stop there, if there's anything else you'd like to share then please do...

15. Nickgk macrumors newbie

For the moment that'a all i can share.

But i will get back on you for this, in a few days.

Also others will confirm this also, don't worry ;)

16. Marcuse macrumors newbie

Sorry for the newbie question - when new Mac machines come out, does Apple usually announce the upgrade in advance or do they just update the store? I mean, if an iMac update will really come out in the first half of this year, will Apple first announce it and then, a few weeks later, release the product, or will they just update the store? Just asking because we will need to do a purchase in the next 2-3 weeks and will need to get whatever is available at the time.

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Never announced before. The store will go down at 6 A.M. PST on the day of the update, be down for an hour or so, and then the front page will be updated.

18. Nickgk macrumors newbie

I think me and my sources were right...

[​IMG]

19. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

20. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle