Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Just ordered my 27" i7 Imac with standard 4GB config. No doubt will upgrade. But are RAM prices trending up or down at the moment. If they are going up I'll snap up another 4GB (2x2GB) now. If they are going to go down (which is the norm generally over time), I'll buy them several months later down the line.

Any ideas on RAM pricing status at present?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
It really is hard to say, but they have been slowly increasing in price over the last few months, so I would hold out for a downturn in prices. I think prices are high right now, so if you don't need the extra RAM right now, it may be best to hold off a little bit.

Bryan

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
It really is hard to say, but they have been slowly increasing in price over the last few months, so I would hold out for a downturn in prices. I think prices are high right now, so if you don't need the extra RAM right now, it may be best to hold off a little bit.

Bryan

that's what I'm thinking. with the new iMacs the demand for them (and all the other PC manufacturers utilising 1066 DDR3 RAM) must be sky high. A few months after orders and production wanes a little, perhaps RAM prices will drop

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC

Bryan

+1
I've been following the crucial and OWC website since before the iMacs were announced. RAM was less than $90 now its over $110.
I'd wait till it comes back down to at least $80 or so.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
While Crucial is great memory there are also other quality options like Gskil and Mushkin that can be had at a good price. You can still find these 2x2gb kits in the $80 range. I think demand on the Crucial just depleated stock and demand has increased recently.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
that's what I'm thinking. with the new iMacs the demand for them (and all the other PC manufacturers utilising 1066 DDR3 RAM) must be sky high. A few months after orders and production wanes a little, perhaps RAM prices will drop

I think you're right -- I'm going to hold out too.

Bryan

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
I have ordered my i7 as a back up to my Mac Pro. When it arrives it'll be mostly be for watching TV, doing presentations and the like so 4GB should be fine for now.

I am truly impressed at what you get for these machines. I practically paid the same for just one of my 30" ACD's. Crazy. I effectively get a 27" LED display (despite the Glassy display) AS WELL AS the following thrown in: i7 CPU with hyper-threading (that beats the base quad Mac Pros), 1TB HD, FW800, Gigabit ethernet, SD card, 4 USB ports, Mini-display port, Audio In AND Out, wireless keyboard, new Magic Mouse etc etc - Incredible.

It should be very interesting to see what  comes out in Q1 in the new year for the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air ranges.

These new iMacs have levelled and set a new bar; and redefined expectations.

I don't normally buy 'consumer' grade Macs, but the new i5/i7 iMacs are closer to Pro level specs. And at the prices they are going for I think they are a complete bargain.

I don't normally gush like this, but I think  have done a triple plus on these machines

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Prices are alot higher than when the last refreshed imacs were released. And they use the same memory.

I got 4GB last year for only 70.00 at crucial's website. Now the same Ram is over 100.

Luckily I had two 1GB sticks from my old mac which is a free 2GB upgrade to my new mac. I can do with 6GB for the next year or so. There isn't a imac on the planet that uses even 4GB. Let alone 6GB. I would say the performance boost over 4GB is minimal right now. Later that will change though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.