Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordlessjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Manchester, UK
Hey I'm looking to get my very first mac and would quite like the iMac. I would do a bit of gaming but not much say things like Sims 3. Is it the right time to buy now as I saw in the buyers guide the iMac is halfway through its average cycle? If you do think there will be new one ones when do you think they will be out and what will be different about? Also do you think there could be price drops soon as they just dropped the prices of the laptops?

Thanks in advance!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Buy one now. Update isn't expected before Q1 2010 when Arrandales comes. 2.93GHz iMac will be best for you if you play some games, also think about getting ATI 4850 for best gaming performance. No price drops before update

wordlessjam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Manchester, UK
Thanks guys for your quick response! If I were to get the iMac with ATi 4850 how long do you think the iMac will last for? Because the last few PCs I have had have been really bad and the one I have now didn't even last 6 months without serious problems but am still chugging along with it!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks guys for your quick response! If I were to get the iMac with ATi 4850 how long do you think the iMac will last for? Because the last few PCs I have had have been really bad and the one I have now didn't even last 6 months without serious problems but am still chugging along with it!

I would say it last at least 3 years, if you buy AppleCare. Usually all slow downs are software related so reinstalling OS will solve those problems. Many are still using G4 or G5 iMacs and PowerMacs as their primary computer. Don't be afraid, just get AppleCare and contact Apple if you have problems

martynmc7

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
If you treat it well it should last you at least 3-5 years. I know some people who have managed to squeeze 7 years out of previous generation imacs before. Mac are generally long-lasting computers, and if you purchase Apple Care you know you'll be secure for at least 3 years. If you run a program like OnyX occasionally to keep the system running at its best, don't allow it to get too hot, and keep it from rapid cooling and warming (i.e. constant startups and shutdowns) you should be good for many happy years with your iMac!

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I've got an 8 year old PM that's running Tiger. It is very usable, but slow at some things like Safari 4 takes a bit to open a new tab, but PS runs great. It really all depends on how well you take care of it and whether you upgrade it (ie RAM, HDD).

mgridgaway

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2006
Also, Applecare is dirt cheap... comparatively... for a iMac, so as long as you don't screw it up you've got 3 guaranteed years. I bought my Applecare on eBay for about $80, ymmv.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.