New image editing app - Exposure X

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Padaung, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

In case anyone hasn't heard of it before, I can totally recommend this application. It has a non-destructive workflow.

http://www.alienskin.com/exposure/

I've just used it for my first edit of a recent photography job. It is a really quick application to work with (import of files is not required). It is perfect for an edit requiring quick selection and exposure/contrast/crop of selected images. No need to move between Import/Develop modules.

As a long time user of Aperture and a recent convert to Lightroom (since Aperture went the way of the Dodo), I 'm really impressed by Exposure X.

It is missing certain essential tools (clone/heal/black slider/recovery) for me to consider replacing Lightroom just yet, and it would benefit from a few UI, Preferences and Export enhancements, but the trial is definitely worth a trial in my opinion.

2. SirCarrington macrumors newbie

SirCarrington

I don't like the idea of not having a catalog. I keep my pictures on an external hard drive and keep my catalog on my MBP. Even when I don't have the external hard drive with me I am still able to browse my photos due to Lightroom's image preview caching in the catalog. The idea of not having a catalog seems very limiting to me.

None-the-less, I'll give it a try. I'm always up for trying new tools.

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I dunno, but it looks like a standalone bundle of the Alienskin plugins, which have been around quite a while. Nice idea though, but there's some very good competition in that price range.

4. Padaung thread starter macrumors 6502

Padaung

I can totally see why many people would want a catalogue, making this application not suitable for many (perhaps most).

A lot of my work requires quick edits and then sending the images off to a client. Exposure X has so far worked really well for this.

I was confused when I first heard about Exposure X as I too remember Alienskin as being a plugins developer. Yes, the old plugins seem to be bundled in as presets, but I have to admit to not even looking at them. I'll be using the presets module for saving the tasks I most commonly perform to an image.