Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

New iMovie for iOS Update Makes it Easier to Start and Share Projects

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated iMovie for iOS, its consumer-oriented video editing app designed for iPhones and iPads. iMovie version 2.2.3 makes it easier to start and share projects and it includes unspecified stability and performance improvements.

iMovie users are now able to start projects more quickly by selecting multiple photos and videos to insert into a project, and there are options for sharing to Facebook or Vimeo using the iOS share interface. Today's update also brings support for Shared iPad, an educational feature that debuted as part of iOS 9.3.

With Shared iPad functionality, iMovie will now work for each student who accesses the app on a shared iPad.
What's New
- Start projects quickly by selecting multiple photos and videos
- Share to Facebook and Vimeo using the standard iOS share interface
- Support for Shared iPad in iOS 9.3 or later
- Stability and performance improvements
Prior to today's update, iMovie last saw an update in April of 2016, bringing minor improvements. The last major update to the software came in September of 2015 when iMovie 2.2 was introduced, bringing support for 4K video and 3D Touch.

iMovie for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: New iMovie for iOS Update Makes it Easier to Start and Share Projects

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I guess we've gotten so used to Apple neglecting their software... (Still hurt by Aperture)

Yep, dropping Aperture hurts for photographers. :(

Though they're not neglecting all software; I think that's a little unfair to say. Logic Pro X has made leaps and bounds, to put it lightly; and in my opinion it is safety the most capable and feature-rich DAW on the market. Plus no iLok necessary and it's cheaper than the competition!

I couldn't contemplate using anything else.

Comment

orbital~debris

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
So what is it the iMovie team are doing differently to what the Aperture team were doing - i.e. how have they mananged to continue to exist as a team producing software when the other was wound down?

I wish Apple had either totally stayed in the game of creative software, or totally got out of it. The current arrangement of making video software - but not serious photography software - is very strange, more so in light of their iPhone photography marketing campaign.

Comment

chiguimania

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
Update for iMovie??? Why does it seem SO difficult for Apple to release a much needed update for Final Cut X but they manage to update an app that nobody uses... SMH

Comment

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
if I am not wrong, iMovie is only free from iOS 7 onwards and that doesn't apply to device upgraded to iOS 7 from older iOS. you need to get a new device. same goes to Page, Number,...

So I guess what I'm asking is will this version run on a device that is so old it came with iOS 6?
If no, then the price of the app isn't relevant (if no one can buy it to run it).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.