New iMovie- Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by magicjames92, Aug 7, 2007.

1. magicjames92 macrumors regular

I briefly looked and it looked a lot different. I dunno if it looked better though. Is it worth upgrading?

2. monke macrumors 65816

monke

The new iMovie looks amazing, and I'm glad they dropped the 'HD' in it's name.

It's worth upgrading if you have an HD camcorder, or if you want more effects/themes/options etc.

If you don't really need any of those things, or any of the other apps, than you should be fine.

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

I am wondering the same, it has some really great new features, but lost old ones. For example, EFFECTS!!! Whats up with that.... lets wait and see I guess.

(Ugly icon BTW [I mean iMovie's])

4. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

i agree the icon is ugly. i have fce but i stll occasionaly use imovie for importing etc

5. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I do not have the new iLife, but I'm going off what I have read and seen on the internet.

It looks like iMovie has been stripped down clean from what is used to be.

So far, I think there are no:

-Themes
    -Transitions
    -Audio Rubberbanding
    -Multiple Audio Tracks
    -Extracting Audio
    -Video Effects (even fast/slow/reverse?)
    -Timeline
    -Insert Black
    -Start music before video

This is rediculous. Apple made a huge mistake with this. iMovie 08 now has less features than iMovie 1 came out back on OS 9! :confused::confused:

6. j/k/Andy macrumors regular

does it fix the audio echo with most of the transitions!!!!

This is a major issue with '06, messed up a bunch of my home movies

Hopefully they redid the whole engine and fixed all the rendering issues.

7. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Maybe to make it more average Computer user friendly. Apple's way of saying "You want to make GREAT MOVIES!? Get FCE!!" There is transitions.

8. SWC macrumors 6502

Insert black, transitions and themes are all there he demoed them during the keynote.

EDIT: multiple audio tracks as well just not sure if you can actually edit any of them. For example in the video he made he had the movie audio and the song.

9. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Sorry there are transitions. But everything else is not there. They dumbed it down so much it's pathetic. iMovie used to be a great tool for editing simple movies on for somebody like me who doesn't have the time or need to earn Final Cut Express.

Why in the world would they even consider taking out something like audio rubber banding or video effects?

This is 10 years behind iMovie HD 07. What were they thinking????

10. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Right, but I do not believe that the rubber banding is there, so there is no way to fade down the music bed so that you can hear the clip audio.

Further, it appears you cannot extract the audio on clips, so you can say goodbye to doing interviews on iMovie or anything similar.

11. SWC macrumors 6502

I've never used garage band so im not sure if its good for editing or just creation. Is this something where you can export the video to garage band edit the audio then take it back over like FCP > Soundtrack

12. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Not that I'm aware of. You *might* be able to export the full movie as an AIFF, import it into Garageband, play with the levels, export it, import it back into iMovie again and drag it into the clip box, then turn off all clip audio......but that's extra steps that did not need to be taken before.

13. SWC macrumors 6502

No doubt that is a crappy solution. I am shocked there is no kind of audio duckng or anything like that. This is such an obvious and prevelant feature. I guess apple hates when people talk on camera and want to drown them out with music.

Any of this give you the functionality needed? It's hard for me to judge since I don't have a copy of the software yet.

14. Macintoshgeek macrumors member

Is there anyway to have a normal looking timeline?I think the new way would be really hard to get used to.

15. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I knew from the moment they chopped the timeline this would be a train wreck.

16. belovedmonster macrumors regular

Yes!

One of the big features introduced into Garageband last year was the feature to load up an iMovie in Garageband to compose and record audio for it.

Also, before we condemn the new iMovie lets wait and see what features it has. Job's has a history of only talking about the new features in any given product, so the fact he didn't mention video effects for example doesn't mean they aren't there necessarily, it might just be he never mentioned them because that's nothing new.

Update: I just watched a couple of the tutorial videos and it seems that if you drag a sound effect or piece of music you can set the volume as well as click a check box for a given clip to tell it to drop the audio during that particular clip. I would be surprised as well if there wasn't some fade in and out transition for audio where you can set the length.

While you cant hold me to this since I've not used the the software yet it seems to me that for 95% who might of wanting to use the audio rubber band you have options here that meet your needs far easier than rubber banding, and if you really are someone who wants complete control over the mix then as I say above, you can open your iMovie up in Garageband and score and do the mix how ever you like, which in truth is a far better option than using rubberbanding in a video editing app anyways. A professional video production would use an audio app to do the mixing, not FCP.

Also I read in another thread some guy moaning that you cant start the music before the video, well just stick a black picture at the start, set it to the length you want, then bung your titles over it. Hell, you might be able to just bung the text effect down at the start of the video and it knows to have it over black. Fact is, whatever is "missing" probably isnt missing persay, you just gotta do it a different way (and in the case of having to use Garageband to do a proper audio mix the solution is arguably far better)

17. J-Squire macrumors regular

Fear of iMovie 08

I am very worried about installing iLife 08, because I am really worried about the new iMovie.
    Yes, it looks sweet, and yes there are certainly some awesome pieces of functionality in it, but it definitely hasn't excited me as a user who has basically exhausted the current functionality of iMovie.

I use FCP for professional editing, but iMovie has always been so much quicker and less hassle, that I often choose it over FCP to put together projects quickly. But this update seems to strip a lot of functionality out.

....I guess it didn't stop me buying iLife 08 today

18. Richard Richard macrumors member

Richard Richard

anyway of running both apps side by side ? iMovie HD and iMovie 08

19. belovedmonster macrumors regular

From what I understand installing iMovie 08 doesnt kill iMovie 07, so you can have both.

20. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

iMovie 07???:p

21. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

How could it be iMovie without if it lacks those basic features? I REALLY suggest you do your research instead of spreading false information. :mad: That doesn't make sense. I'm sure they've implemented it one way or another...

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So much fud. Can people please get their facts straight?

23. belovedmonster macrumors regular

Well that list is clearly wrong since there are transitions. And you can have multiple audio tracks in so much as you have a sound effect track and a background music track.

Why don't we just wait until someone gets a copy and can tell us one way or the other.

24. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer