Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
I need to do some very basic editing for a university presentation.

I always used iMovie 09 and never had a problem. I tried using the new iMovie today for the first time and it is unusable. It is extremely slow. If i even press pause during the video it freezes for 5 minutes.

The preview window shows the video stuttering (even though when playing the video on any player it is fine).

It has become unusable. My macbook pro is a 2.8 GHz Core i7 with 4gig ram. I know it is not a huge amount of ram but I'm trying to edit a 5 minute video in iMovie and never had a problem with the old version.

Is this a issue with the new iMovie?

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
Check the Applications folder. There should be a folder called iMovie with the old iMovie app in it.

nilnova

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2013
Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but my understanding is that the old iMovie is still installed in case you need to use that instead. For me on a new late 2013 rMBP I see iMovie 9.0.9 in the Applications folder when viewed in Finder. Maybe you can use that one to get your project done in the mean-time.

Edit: I got snookered by Snookerman. I am too slow. :D

al82

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Thank you for the help :)

Went back to the old iMovie and everything is fine again. Went back to the old version of Pages as i would no longer automatically turn to a capital I when used.

I love apple, but the new ilife and iWork's has been a big step back for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.