New In-Ear Headphones sound TERRIBLE...?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Errk!, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

I just picked up the new In-Ear Headphones and I can't believe how bad they sound. There is no bass at all. The original iPhone 3G earphones actually sound fuller and have better bass.

I tried it on both an iPhone 3G and a MacBook Pro, and on several different EQ settings. No difference.

It's not just that I'm disappointed - they genuinely sound bad. I'm not exaggerating when I say the 3G earphones sound better.

Is this something that is a known problem? I can't believe both sides would have bad drivers or whatever...maybe something is defective on the jack? Has anyone else noticed or commented on this?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It could be down to fit. I don't have them (and have no plans to get them) but balanced-armature drivers depend on a more or less airtight seal in order to work. It could be you aren't using the tips properly, and consequently not getting a proper seal.

I'm actually very surprised Apple went with a dual-driver armature design than an idiot-proof dynamic driver.

3. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Sesshi - that's exactly what it was. I *just* came across a post in the Apple forums where the poster said you really have to cram them in your ear to create the seal (I had no idea; I've never had a pair of earphones like this that go in the ear). I did and the sound is good - pretty comparable to the Bose Triport. I think I'll be keeping them.

4. DYER macrumors 6502

the same happend to me when i first got a pair of shures now im in love with them...
    well done on sorting out the problem

5. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

It would have been nice if the instructions were clearer on this - I'm seeing a LOT of complaints along the same lines of "no bass". Granted some people consider themselves audiophiles and are pickier than most, but I can't help but think a majority of these people are doing the same thing and just resting them in the ear, not knowing any better.

6. DYER macrumors 6502

I agree. it would help quite a lot of people.

7. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Anyone that can;t figure out how to properly fit a pair of headphones in their ears shouldn't be considered an audiophile. The thing comes with various ear buds... I think that's the strongest hint at getting a proper fit which fills the ear canal.