New info on Skylake optimizations over Broadwell

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dubydoo, May 11, 2015.

1. dubydoo macrumors member

A leaked slide over at the anandtech forums shows up to 35% longer battery time on video playback with a Skylake m-core over a Broadwell m-core.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=37388000&postcount=561

This is of course an ideal situation that might not be directly representative for "normal" use, but definitely interesting news.

2. headcase macrumors 6502

headcase

Very nice. Looking forward to the next-gen of this MB.

3. and1tennis macrumors newbie

Im looking forward to the bump of the integrated graphics bump! HDMI 2.0 support what what!

4. mikeray macrumors regular

5. Macbuyer7 macrumors member

Truthfully I don't really understand the slide. Does it hint at any CPU improvements?

6. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

But it sounds like it won't be this year for sure.

7. MikhailT macrumors 601

It has improvements all over the chip, including GPU/CPU and so on. Skylake is a tock, meaning a new SoC arch.

Boardwell is just a 14nm process shrink of the same Haswell arch, that's why there aren't a lot of differences.

Skylake is where a lot of big changes are coming, including DDR4 support which will have some power efficiency gains, especially LPDDR4 for laptops.

But I wouldn't expect major gains in pure math throughput, expect maybe at least 2-5% gain for CPU and 10-20% in GPU. The biggest improvement is going to be the energy efficiency, they're already expecting 30%.

8. MyopicPaideia, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015

MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

Yes, all true, but DDR4 support isn't coming to the Y-series chips with Skylake, according to the Intel Roadmaps. Also, Y-series is definitely not going to be released until 2016. Lastly, it appears they are comparing to a Broadwell 5Y10 processor in the infographic according to its footnotes...hardly representative of the processors used in the current MB.

9. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

10. dubydoo thread starter macrumors member

It seems like the next rev. won't be out until 2016. Maybe a year after the MBP 13" refresh and Macbook introduction? I've ordered a 1.2/512 and will be happy with that for the next year. And then I'll most likely sell it and upgrade to rev. 2. :)

11. and1tennis macrumors newbie

I just bought a 2015 macbook pro and Im very pleased with it. But I will have to most undoubtably sell it and buy the new revision with skylake for a few reasons...

1. 4k compatibility (not mst, real 4k)

2. the gpu for gaming

3. most likely they will up the specs on the current display (hopefully 4k)

4. energy efficiency is nice, but less so than 1-3

12. melb00m macrumors regular

I wouldn't hold my breath. Why tax the machine with an even higher resolution if the eye won't even notice.

13. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I really doubt apple will put 4k on the next version of rMB for soooooooo many reasons. Just a few are power consumption, lack of such a screen on MBP.

Also, it's Intel that puts the integrated GPU on the chip, not Apple. I doubt that Skylake M is going to have such a huge jump in GPU that it's going to suddenly be a gaming machine. Again, better GPU takes more energy and Apple and Intel have to balance energy usage with performance on core M chips.

14. Zodiac.mj macrumors member

GPU with 5W TDP for gaming? Man, for real? I know you man not necessarily mean running Crysis on full details in 4k, but if you want to wait for rMB for gaming, that may take a while :D

Next generation can do better when watching movies only if it will feature full hardware decode support for popular movie formats. For other task, you probably wont notice any change.

From marketing perspective, I think that putting only USB-C, slower than rMBP SSD and lack of 4k output is there just to make us, customers switch for Skylake revision in the future :)

15. AppleWarMachine macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

16. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Have we seen any roadmaps for mobile? Seems to have been a few for the desktop market...