New info re. O2 PAYG pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LukeHarrison, Jun 29, 2008.

1. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

Just spoken to a guy in an O2 store about the iPhone 3G pricing on PAYG. He says that the pricing released on the website last week was a mistake, and that its going to be £700!!!

Whether to believe him or not though is the question.

2. trevreyno macrumors member

the fact that the payg pricing has since been removed from the o2 website makes me think someone at o2 might have made a major cock-up here:eek:

3. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Definitely do not believe him. Not only would he not know, but who would go through the trouble of writing the website publications with the £300 price points if they are wrong? I will bet you the prices we see July 11th are the prices we saw on the site.

4. philgilder macrumors 68000

there have been many cases where one bit of information has been leaked on apple website, only to have the real one revealed a few days/weeks later

5. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Im not aware of those, but anyway, this is O2, not Apple. There not into playing games. there is nothing to gain for them.

6. trevreyno macrumors member

we wait to see.....but why remove the payg pricing details on the site with less than 2 weeks before the launch:confused:

7. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

lol. no. There is not a chance in hell the iPhone on pay and go will be £700. Simple as.

8. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

A guy in an O2 store said it, so it must be true!!

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

i think £700 is way too high, but don't see Apple allowing o2 to sell it for £300

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why? The iPod Touch is £200 so its still a lot more expensive...

11. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

This O2 shop man that I met said Apple would be giving out free iPhones to everyone in the world, so it must be true!

12. macmedal macrumors regular

I have no doubt that the prices published on the O2 website were the correct ones. There has either been a mix up with the website publishers as to the day that it was supposed to go live (I think next week we will see some more info being released) or O2 have taken a leaf out of Apples marketing strategy and given a quick glimpse to promote yet more discussion amongst the likes of us. But as for £700 no way.

13. philgilder macrumors 68000

well, in most other European countries where it is offered payg, it is selling for around £400

14. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So it sounds like a good opportunity for me over in England to make some money! :D

15. philgilder macrumors 68000

once the iphone has been unlocked of course! :p

16. moveteam macrumors member

Now it has to be £700:p

17. itchster macrumors member

Shall we get this in perspective a second. your saying a brand new iphone 3g will cost the same as a macbook laptop?

its not going to happen :p it will be cheaper then £700

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you sure it isn't unlocked for that price?

19. philgilder macrumors 68000

well no, as each website says different things, and no one really knows for 100%
    but thats the unsubsidised price, and payg is unsubsidised

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No it isn't as the phone is still locked to that individual network. On Pay as you go they are the only network you can use to make calls.

21. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

It's still often unsubsidised though. Just locked.

Subsidising PayG does happen but to nothing like the extent of a contract - they can't guarantee that you'll spend any money on it (it's done on averages I guess.. if the average user spends £200 a year on calls then subsidising for £50 makes sense, as they sell more).

22. philgilder macrumors 68000

but you dont have to top up and put credit on the phone, therefore you could buy a subsidised phone and never put credit on it, so o2 would loose money
    it has to be unsubsidised...

EDIT: TonyHoyle beat me to it...

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

But the vast majority of people won't do that, so they can subsidise it a bit.

In fact they do subsidise pay-as-you-go phones, as the following example with the Nokia 6300 shows:

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

24. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

Also although it won't be £700 (that would simply kill payg sales completely) I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the £300 slightly. At the moment there are almost no cases where it's cheaper to go on the £30/month contract vs. using the PayG. I would have thought that they'd prefer the guaranteed income of having people on contracts.

Of course it's possible that the £30 contract is just for generating headlines ('The new iphone 3G, from £30') or is just for people that are bad at math... I reckon they'll scale it better though when they release.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The £30 contract is the only one that isn't equivalent (or better) than O2's normal tariff's on other phones.