New information needed for income survey..anonymous

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Apr 6, 2010.

?

Which category best describes you?

1. I am over 24 with college degree and make above average wage/salary for your region

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. I am over 24 w/o college degree and make above average wage/salary for your region

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. I am over 24 with college degree and make below average wage/salary for your region

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. I am over 24 w/o college degree and make below average wage/salary for my region

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I am 24 or younger

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Based on a long discussion from another thread, I want to get some info, totally anonymous, and run it by my PhD friend and by my former teacher (a student of John Nash back in the day).

No need to post, just answer the poll. For SAUSA standards, only voters over 25.

Thanks in advance,

2. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Wow, I didn't know how many young people were here. The statistical abstract I worked with a lot in school measured a lot of stats based on things like people 25 and older. Why? I don't know.

Anyway, sorry about that, all you under 25. I bet most of you prolly make more than me. I am in that educated category with a lower than average (for region) wage/salary. Mathematical analysts/information gatherers and statisticians make far less than an accountant but have to deal with much more math.

Anyway, if you want to study really hard, either be a high school math teacher where the district now can demand a master's from a top university, or become a certified fraud examiner. Oh, better yet, be a real estate mortgage economic analyst.

Also another path for six to eight years of education, and a vow of poverty, is to become a marine biologist activist fighting the fishing industry. :)

3. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Not insulting your poll but I'm not sure it is going to show you the information you want.

According to the other thread, I'm sure this has to do with income in comparison to college education (or, as it were, high income without college education, as you argued).

I don't think this survey will help for a few reasons...

1. You are hoping on people being honest and clicking the honest option.

2. You are assuming that people can judge what a high income is compared to a low income, it is more vague then a quantity in your survey.

3. It is a small amount of people. To make this accurate you would really need to quiz 500-1000 people over a varied spectrum of audiences, not just MacRumors viewers.

That said, I'm sure you are doing this mainly for fun, but if you were to show it to your professors, or any other industry expert on the subject, you may want to rethink your approach.

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I am pretty much long done with school but we all keep in contact. What we did with samples, school and industry, was have sample sizes from 10 people to 1500 people, anonymous, in person, and now online.

With that info, people sell it to the likes of Rasmussen, Gallup, and Bloomberg. I did some work for Hanes.

What is fascinating is that even surveys like this, if given enough time, get closer to being accurate.

Taking median, mode, other factors, and working with standard deviations and outliers, we follow trends as I did this for Hanes.

One classmate took his studies further and came up with the San Jose Sharks logo, which amazingly, does very well around the world with non-hockey fans.

All this through small, medium, and large surveys. Ask men what colors they like (black won), ask women (turquoise won), ask what animal they like they think relates to hockey (shark was a fav), give the info over to designers, come up with some alternatives, and who knows, you may end up with the most successful sports logo in history (San Jose Sharks).

Of course, it's not that easy, but I am simplifying the process greatly. And yes, I am doing this one for fun and maybe profs will give students this as an assignment.

In one class long, Nash's peer told us that coins flip and land heads or tails, and one student said what if it lands on edge. Teacher said that won't happen, so on third or fourth flip, the coin lands on edge right on the tile floor. :)

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks for the replies to poll, keep them coming. Two things appear to be true, we tend to have more education than the other polls I am conducting on other sites, so does owning a computer tend to be in the territory of one who is educated?,

do we as a group make more money (expensive macs=better than average income?),

and interestingly, we at Macrumors are considerably younger than the many other forums I post on. Wait, can we witness the next young versions of Steve and Steve? or alternatively Bill and Paul? ;)

6. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Thank you all very much for your anonymous responses. I will get hopefully 200-300 answers from here and elsewhere, total, and post it, Doctor Q style.

What I have found on a very simple question like this, asking 10-15 people get an overall response, bar chart or histogram very similar to a very large sample of a simple question, like the Hanes survey I did for my own business.

It's when you have a more detailed questionnaire, like big companies do when doing R & D for a product, where you need a larger sample. Like,:eek: "This was my idea and I came up with Windows 7". But of course, them people ain't as smart as us Mac users. ;)

7. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

So far, from work friends at one of my jobs, another forum, and this one, a third are below age 25 and represent the largest sample at 33.33%

Here's the breakdown after 75 responses from here and abroad:

25.33% percent have degree and believe they make above their region's wage/salary
    13.33% percent have degree and make below
    16.00% percent have no degree and make above
    12.00% percent have no degree and make below
    33.33% percent are below age 25

Keep the responses coming, and many thanks to you all at work, on this site, and others and I will post the results when it hits a significantly bigger number, and compare it against the first 75 people, and see how the numbers change, if at all.

8. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

With 150 responses, it stands at:

32.66% percent have degree and above average wage/salary
    17.33% percent have degree and make below
    21.33% percent have no degree and make above
    12.66% percent have no degree and make below
    16.00% percent are below age 25

What we used to do in stats class was ask what this information tends to suggest. In sociology 101, we would be asked the obvious question if education makes a difference. In graduate school, we would write a long paper just on these numbers. In a graduate math class, we would look at outliers once we had hard numbers of exactly how much each of these respondents made.

After we got this information, we would further break it down into gender, then race, then age, then levels of college education above high school such as associates/bachelors/masters/professional/PhD, then region/country, then occupation, parent's income and/or education, inherited wealth, and then analyze the data.

What are your thoughts on this very slim data just based on the criteria of age, your income vs. your region's income, and education?
    (there are truly no valid or invalid answers, it's statistics we are talking about) ;)

In the United States, an interesting book to look at is the Statistical Abstract of the United States, considered a bible by some, a doorstop by others.

While we are talking about anonymous persons posting here, one famous person who got into hot water for content, and accuracy was the great Dr. Kinsey (but that's for another thread, please ;) ).