New Instagram Update Lets You Share Up to Ten Photos and Videos in One Post

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram today announced that users will now be able to share multiple photos and videos within one post thanks to a carousel-like feature that allows up to ten pictures and videos to be uploaded simultaneously.

After the series is shared, followers will be able to swipe through in the order they were uploaded, creating a natural series of moments that can cover a friend's birthday party or even a full how-to series on food recipes, according to Instagram.

Blue dots under a post provide a hint for users to swipe for more content

To upload multiple pieces of content at once, users will see a new icon in the photo upload area, and from there they can tap and hold to change the order, apply a filter at once to everything or go one by one to customize each picture or video.

Instagram said that these types of posts are still designated to a single caption and only support the square-style size "for now." A similar carousel feature has been available to brands for advertising purposes within Instagram for the past few years.

Instagram is available to download on the iOS App Store for free [Direct Link]. The update will begin rolling out to users throughout the day.

Article Link: New Instagram Update Lets You Share Up to Ten Photos and Videos in One Post

Reactions: ovo6

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
they need to make an algorithm that stops me from seeing the same photo twice from different users. i follow a few meme accounts and a lot is just duplicates.

Reactions: Avieshek

Superhappytree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Cumbria
You just know the vain narcissists and selfie lovers are going to over use this. But at least it'll be less posts and instead all in one I suppose.

ovo6

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
Not bad but I rather use stories
[doublepost=1487783561][/doublepost]
they need to make an algorithm that stops me from seeing the same photo twice from different users. i follow a few meme accounts and a lot is just duplicates.
There's no way to do that lolol

adamjackson

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
This is actually a good thing. The only thing I use Instagram for is posting photos that are already on Flickr/my personal blog. No one uses Flickr anymore and friends kept asking me to just use Instagram if I want them to see my photos. So once a week, I grab photos from the week and upload them to Instagram.

The workflow could need some work though. I shoot with a 5D and edit in Lightroom and upload the photos to Flickr in full-resolution. Then, I export JPEGs and load them into Photos for Mac which sync up to iCloud Photos and I can then upload them to Instagram via my iPad. The issue is, every photo is 10-25 megabytes in size so it takes minutes at a time to open Instagram photo post, load the library, download the photo I clicked on and then upload it.

But, people do enjoy my pictures. IDK, it's frustrating that I have to do it this way but people don't give a **** about Flickr anymore or going to my online photo gallery of pictures.

Reactions: PipSeg

foxconn

Suspended
Sep 6, 2016
Not bad but I rather use stories
[doublepost=1487783561][/doublepost]
There's no way to do that lolol
sure there is. we have image recognition software.. if we can identify faces in pictures then we can identify an entire picture.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I really thought Snap was pretty much destined to kill Insta but they've done a really nice job fighting back. I still like Snap better but I'm honestly not sure who wins this anymore...

zohaali146

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2016
Nice, but i really not get why people use separate social networking webs for photo sharing when you can easily do these things with FB too.

PipSeg

Suspended
May 12, 2016
Once, this app was simple but useful. Now they are implementing more features than this community need.

This is a sad story.
Do you speak on behalf of the "community"? Who are you to say what features I need ?
Apps can't just stay the exact same and expect people to stay on their platform.
If you don't see the value in multiple posts into one, then maybe the app is not for you at all.
[doublepost=1487867604][/doublepost]
Oh, I didn't read the whole article. I didn't realize the photos would show up under one post, that's cool.
prime example of MacRumors readers ^^^

smirking

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
This could be annoying if people spam their feeds.
On the contrary, I think this makes it less annoying when people spam their feeds. If someone posts 10 photos from the same event and it's something you don't care about, you're going to be hitting different photos from that event over and over again with the way Instagram ranks the relevance of images.