New Install - 10.58 is still slow

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mlyardley, Aug 28, 2009.

1. mlyardley macrumors newbie

Fall 2008 I purchased 15" Macbook Pro Unibody.

2.53 GHz
    4GB RAM
    320 GB HD

Professional I do a lot of web, graphic, and video editing. Computer is loaded with Adobe CS4 production suite & Final Cut. The hard drive never was over 50% full (used of 2TB external drive). HD crashed, thankfully everything was backed up.

I put in a new HD everything was running perfectly. It was faster than before because I went up to a 7200. One day it started lagging during bootup and while working. I though it would be because of the volume of programs (although it didn't happen before) so I put a fresh copy of OSX on. Nothing changed . . . Once a program like FC or Photoshop is open it runs great for 10 min or so freezes for 1 or 2 then back to working and so on. It really seems to hate iPhoto.

Any ideas on what to do?

p.s. I looked for help on other threads but they were mostly because people had a full HD or not enough ram.

2. donbenjy macrumors 6502

hmm..."repair disk permissions" would be the first piece of advice ;)

It sounds like it might be a particular piece of software or something similar. When you did a clean install, did you use a TM backup to restore everything, or did you fresh install your apps too? Try looking in activity monitor for any suspicious activity...also look in Utilities, Console.app and see if there are any logs that stand out to you