NEW INSTALL mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Steakpie, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Steakpie macrumors newbie

my mac air is 150 gb and i have 48 gb free

how can I CLEAN install mavericks on anothe rdrive in the free space?

I only have one drive as of now,

and when i do it,i will be able to access the 200 gb from the current drive when i use mavericks on drive B(yet to be made) right?

this wont format or do anything on current drive A right?

also,i deleted mavericks installer like 5gb after installing it, so do i have to download it all over again,or not?
    is there a way to download it without doing a new download?

any drawbacks of this process?
    after the process?

how much space will it eat up of the 48gb other than the 5gb mavericks installer, after the clean install?

like,how much mavericks occupy?

on a very side note, the ONLY REASON IM DOING THIS IS BECAUSE MAVERICKS FINDER KEEPS CRASING AND ITS CRASHED MORE THAN 300 TIMES IN LAST FEW MONTHS ,I INSTALLED ON THE SAME DAY MAVERICKS CAME OUT!

AND ITS BECOME VERY SLOW OVER TIME ,NOT SURE WHY BUT THATS THE CASE.

HELP PLEASE.

----------

wow just read partitioning will erase the disk fully? like format it?
    just because i create a new HDD partition,really?? :confused:

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I have labelled your questions and will answer them..
    1. You will have to use Disk utility to partition the drive, then redownload Mavericks from the Mac App Store. Then you will run the installer and choose the new partition you created as the place to install Mavericks. NB: If you want to keep using the old drive, I would leave the old partition with at least 10GB free (esp for the installer).

2. Yes, you can access it as if it were a Bootcamp Drive (both ways)

3. Nope!

4. As I said before, you have to redownload the whole thing, sorry! Go to the Mac App Store and search 'Mavericks', then Download it again. Run this from the Applications folder, selecting your new partition as the install location.

5. I can't remember this exactly but I think the whole OS only takes like 6GB at the most.

6. I would suggest using a program like Onyx to clean everything. If this doesn't work, open up a new forum post about this.

Hope this helps!

~James

----------

No... I don't think so, unless you have a weird format for your disk... You should be able to create partitions easily and remove them without problem...