New install or Migration assistant? New iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jackofharts, Jan 18, 2013.

1. jackofharts macrumors member

Just wondering what general opinion is.

Do you use migration assistant to move over from older imac? Or do you treat it as a clean slate?

2. iltwtv macrumors newbie

iltwtv

New Install

I prefer to install all my apps new. My docs are on Dropbox. My calendar and contacts are in iCloud. The files I need to copy over are my iTunes and iPhoto Library folders and some misc. stuff.

3. jackofharts thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying. I did migration assistant but regretted it so wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Mountain Lion.

Hopefully, does that means it is now the same as when it came out the box?

Also do you think this will of affected the fusion drive?

I'm new at this.

thanks

4. Jamooche macrumors regular

Why do you regret doing the migration assistant? What was bad about it. I usually do everything manually, but I plan to upgrade soon and was planning on using it. Thanks!

5. trustever macrumors 6502

my rule of thumb is do it your self when you could..
    I am never really sure when using migration assistant that it is not copying across any not necessary file...
    Curious to read some one else opinion as well as I am not techie at all...

6. Jamooche macrumors regular

I've always done everything manually when I was on the PC side. This will be my first Mac upgrade. Should be pretty easy manually with the ability to use targeted disc mode and transfer the files via Thunderbolt.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I always use Migration Assistant and I've never had a problem. It's a great tool.

8. Bowcaps macrumors member

I migrated from my MBA (mid 2012) to my new iMac 27" 2012, using a TB cable, 23 minutes - job done Office 2011 and CS6 work fine as do all the App Store downloads [naturally].

The one thing I have learnt since switching to apple, is that 99% of the time it's easy and it just works - so why make things harder?

HTH :)

9. KrasHr macrumors newbie

I migrated from a G4 Mac mini to a 17" Macbook Pro (even when the HDD drive, I just installed onto the new hard drive from a time machine backup), then to an early 2009 iMac. I haven't had any issues at all, so I'm also going to Migrate from the early 2009 iMac to the new 27" iMac when it arrives in a few days.