new installed 667 mhz ram shows 800 mhz

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by saxmand, Apr 27, 2009.

1. saxmand macrumors newbie

Hi (I just try to make a new tread)

3 weeks ago I bought my first white macbook. (so I'm a nobe)
    And now I just installed my 2x2Gb KVR667D2S5/2G kingston ram.
    Everything works perfect and the machine works very fast, but when I go to about my computer it tells me that my computer have 4 GB 800 mhz ram.
    I'm concerned, because I was told that the my macbook only takes 667 mhz and if you put 800 mhz ram into it, the macbook will automatically change it to 667 mhz.

So what shall I do:
    Will the ram get to much power, should I go chance it in some menu, or is it OK that it shows more than the ram is, cause the macbook did it, it self?

I really don't want my macbook to crash.

Hope for some help.

2. fuz10n macrumors member

fuz10n

ddr2 is pretty easily overclocked, so i wouldn't worry about it. No idea why that happened, or if it is a false positive though. Keep an eye on your temperatures, and if they get really high (>85-90 C) then put the old memory back in.

You might want to use bootcamp and then install something like sisoft sandra to see what windows is reporting the ram frequency is.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

It's been shown that the new 9400M whitebooks will run an 800mhz bus if the RAM supports it.

Many times, 667mhz DDR2 RAM can support the 800mhz clock speed, but not as well as the certified 800mhz stock.

Just an aside, the term is "noob" not "nobe" :p