New Integrated Battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jun 17, 2009.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

In a new Macbook Pro, the non-removable battery DOES last for 3X longer then an average laptop battery. I could see Apple's strategy when they did this with the iPods and iPhones. However, this is a $2,000+ machine that we're talking about, and when the battery is used for 3X longer then the average, that means that the whole laptop has to be replaced. I bought my Macbook in VERY late 2008, and I was so glad. No old technology, but then I don't have the odd screen problems experienced by the 2.66GHZ Macs, and I don't have the limitations of the new integrated Macs. What do you think is the smart decision? The integrated battery with a longer life but a limitation of 5 years, or the removable, replaceable but with a shorter charge?

2. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

Sorry to post I read it, but have nothing to contribute. I see that you too live in the city of champions as do I :cool:

3. henders98 macrumors member

What do you mean the whole laptop has to be replaced? No, you just take it to Apple and have them replace the battery.

4. LEOMODE macrumors regular

well i'm the owner of the previous unibody (the one right before) but even from that, the integrated doesn't mean that you have to change the whole machine like the ipods or iphones. bcuz for $120 or something you can replace just the battery in the apple store, meaning you can always replace it whenever you feel like changing. so i'll say battery is not a problem

5. cababah macrumors 68000

$130 bucks after 3 years is nothing...nowhere near justifying the price of a new computer but most people do not keep laptops for that long anyway

I think this battery should hold it's own during the life of the machine..very sweet

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You are mistaken.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Completely incorrect. Just buy a new battery and install it yourself.

8. mrj205 macrumors regular

at the most...you pay apple $129 after 3 to 4 years of use to replace the battery...i don't get your position, i like the new integrated battery...it lasts

9. qpid macrumors regular

If only there was a way to SEARCH to see if this has come up before...

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

How easy is it to replace these new integraded batteries? Is it just plug n play?

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Few screws involved, but yep; plug and play otherwise. ;)

12. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Twelve screws and a sticker and you can put a new one in yourself. I don't see why you'd want to do that though instead of just having Apple do it. It's interesting to note that the replacement battery for the white MacBook is also $129. I'll take the sealed one any day.

13. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I actually like the integrated batteries. I think its a smart move. For others that travel lots, it may not be to good, but for me, I dont mind it one bit.

14. Jocelyn84 macrumors member

LMAO, sports are the ONLY thing this God Forsaken town has, how lame!!
    Mellon is the champion, not you :p
    PS No I'm not originally from Pittsburgh and I said the above in jest

Edit: Changed city to town lol