New Intel chips sooner? Worth the wait?

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
I'm considering in getting a MacBook but I've heard many problems from it so I'm thinking of waiting.

I came across this link just now and with this info, is it worth the wait? It's only 3-4 months away and Apple might take a stab at it (in January 2007) with the addition the soon released Leopard.

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
There is no Quad-core chips for the mobile segment in any of Intel's processor road maps.

If you need it I would go ahead and buy it now.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
you can wait forever for the next best thing..

in the meantime, i am loving my blackbook and it's problem free, fast, and absolutely gorgeous.

don't pay so much attention to the "omg my macbook sux!!!1!1" threads - yes, those people did have problems, but the vast majority bought their macbooks, had no issues, loved them, and felt no reason to post about it.

that said: as the rule goes, if you can wait, wait. if you need it now, buy it now.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Pressure said:
There is no Quad-core chips for the mobile segment in any of Intel's processor road maps.

If you need it I would go ahead and buy it now.
Hehe that's only part of the article, the second part is regarding the new mobile processors. :D

xfiftyfour said:
you can wait forever for the next best thing..

in the meantime, i am loving my blackbook and it's problem free, fast, and absolutely gorgeous.

don't pay so much attention to the "omg my macbook sux!!!1!1" threads - yes, those people did have problems, but the vast majority bought their macbooks, had no issues, loved them, and felt no reason to post about it.

that said: as the rule goes, if you can wait, wait. if you need it now, buy it now.
Hehe, I can wait but I'd prefer spending $2,000 of stuff (graduation present) to last up to 3 years. :eek:

Pressure

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2006
Denmark
scott523 said:
Hehe that's only part of the article, the second part is regarding the new mobile processors. :D

Hehe, I can wait but I'd prefer spending $2,000 of stuff (graduation present) to last up to 3 years. :eek:
It's just some Ultra-Low power parts.

Would you really be satisfied with a 1.33Ghz or 1.50Ghz chip?

It would probably be great in an ultra-portable but I don't see it in a revised MacBook. The current chips would be faster.

suneohair

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2006
scott523 said:
That article says nothing about quad mobile chips. It says they will be introducting low voltage Core 2 Duos. Again nothing about quad mobile chips.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
suneohair said:
That article says nothing about quad mobile chips. It says they will be introducting low voltage Core 2 Duos. Again nothing about quad mobile chips.
Again, first part was about quad core for desktops, second part is low voltage dual core processors being released in Jan 2007. I never said anything about quad mobile chips (we all wish). :rolleyes:

I don't know if the low voltage, low clockspeed, dual core processors would benefit a MacBook (doubt it) but it can be an option for Apple. After giving it a little thought, Meroms could out perform the new 'Santa Rosa' processors. :confused:

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Gainesville, FL
santa rosa is the name of the new chipset/processor/wireless platform, replacing the existing Napa platform. The new chipset is called Crestline, the processor is STILL codename Merom, but with an 800 MT/S FSB and a new socket.

the LV/ULV chips are always going to be a step down in performance versus the full scale line.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
scott523 said:
Again, first part was about quad core for desktops, second part is low voltage dual core processors being released in Jan 2007. I never said anything about quad mobile chips (we all wish). :rolleyes:

I don't know if the low voltage, low clockspeed, dual core processors would benefit a MacBook (doubt it) but it can be an option for Apple. After giving it a little thought, Meroms could out perform the new 'Santa Rosa' processors. :confused:
Yeah, I think you were a little confused...ULV processors will not be an upgrade to current Meroms. They will be for things like ultrathin tablets and subnotebooks. Once the Merom appears in the Macbook, I say get one because that will be the best thing in notebooks for awhile.