New Intel Graphics?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dr. No, Jun 5, 2006.

  1. Dr. No macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2003
    There was a rumor about a new Intel Integrated Graphics chipset that will replace the GMA950. It is said to be a LOT faster.

    Anyway, Gigabyte introduced some new motherboards, and it looks like they might have the new chipset.
    It would be sweet if the next Mac Mini could use a Merom + the new Intel GMA (or whatever it wil be called).
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3


    Aug 30, 2003
    Those chipsets are supposed to be replacements for the 945 etc. used in the current Apple machines, so it's reasonable to expect to see them at some point.

    This is one of the nice side effects of Macintel. Intel already had to do something about their graphics capabilities to better deal with Vista, so Apple can hitch a free ride.
  3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2003
    GMA965 I believe? Yes from what I hear they will eat, digest, and crap back out the GMA950's.
  4. coopdig macrumors member

    Feb 29, 2004
    I've read a little bit about these GMA965x chips -- they sound fantastic!

    Does anyone know if they must be paired with a merom or a conroe chip?

    Is there a chance that these might find their way into Yonah Macbooks for the next bump up or iteration?
  5. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    May 31, 2006
    When shall we see these new graphics processors???? Fall ......or later?
  6. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    My Powerbook is still under warranty, I think I will wait until it expires and see if these make it onto the Macbook before I upgrade.;)
  7. codo macrumors 6502

    May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    Hmmm - Reading up on this new integrated graphics system makes me really question getting a MacBook with the current chipset.

    This Intel G965 will just be much more future proof in combination with a 64-Bit processor and considering I won’t be changing my laptop in the next 3 or 4 years, it’s worth a few months wait.
  8. coopdig macrumors member

    Feb 29, 2004
    The question(s) remains, though: Will it just be a few months wait, or not? WHEN will it go into the MB.

    If the GMA965x has to be paired with a Merom chip, we might not see it in the Macbook for a long while. (It seems unlikely to me that they'll put a Merom into the MBP *and* the MB at WWDC...)

    Does anyone know if the GMA965x will work with a Yonah chip? If so, *then* it seems like we might see it implemented soon, imho.
  9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Just want to make one point, the GMA 965 will be faster but I wouldnt say a lot faster it will be a incremental step and thats good but its still not a dedicated GPU. Plan on it being a little faster.
  10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030


    Jun 15, 2005
    Intel dropped the "GMA" name and is just calling it the G965. It'll feature all the proper shaders needed to run new games and will be quite a bit faster. It will be on par with a 128MB X300.
  11. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816


    Sep 6, 2005
  12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2003
    Damnit I hope it's soon!! Once they release them Im getting one. End of story.
  13. manic macrumors regular

    May 29, 2006
    guys, I hate to spoil the fun here, and I sure hope Im wrong, but I hear the 965 is part of the upcoming santa rosa chipset, slated for Q2 2007
  14. dukebound85 macrumors P6


    Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    well thats not too cool. may just have to get a macbook this summer then
  15. coopdig macrumors member

    Feb 29, 2004

    I'm not so sure about that -- check out the article at Appleinsider, linked-to above.

    It sounds like it may be paired with Core 2 Duo chips like Merom. ...unless I misread the article!

    And so, for those of us concerned to buy macbooks, the question still remains: can/will the G965 be implemented with Yonah, or only Merom... The answer to that, I think, should make clear our timeline (with the assumption that MBs won't be getting Meroms till months after the MBPs).

    ...and I have no clue as to what the answer is!

Share This Page