New Intel iMac, a love story

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eaglegray, Aug 6, 2007.

1. eaglegray macrumors newbie

I'm a baby-boomer, I'm not a techie, but I'm not a novice computer user either: I just retired an 8-year-old G3 iMac and jumped to a new Intel iMac (17", Core 2 Duo, Superdrive, 2 Gig processor), and I think I am in love.
    What a revelation! and what a revolution in computer technology that Apple has created in the 8 years from my G3 til now.
    Not just beautiful to operate but beautiful to look at: sophisticated, subtle lines (much more subtle than the earlier 'table lamp-shaped' iMac iteration); half hidden Apple logo, softly pulsing 'sleep light', elegant snow white and clear 'cased glass' look of the body.
    OS-X is a marvel and the iLife programs keep offering up new capabilities and wonderful tricks. I have just now completed digitizing my first vinyl LP using GarageBand and playing back on iTunes. And just today a new widgety discovery on iTunes: the 'Vizualizer' thingy with its psychedelic light show pulsing to the music. It is a good thing I am single (again!), because godknows when I will get out of this chair (perhaps setting up the iMac in front of a stationary bike is the answer to the physical inactivity it might be blamed for).
    I am unabashed that to some this may sound like a bare-faced commercial, and I've never promoted anything like this before. It's just that everyone should have one of these. Don't get the laptop (unless you absolutely need one, of course), get a desktop, get the Intel iMac. Sure, it's all about the Apple OS, but it's also about screen size, and the iMac's unmatchable esthetics.

2. Tommy Tallarico macrumors member

Tommy Tallarico

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Awww....

:)

Young love is sooo cute...

(glad you're happy, and welcome to MacRumors)

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I'm told a new hot model is coming tomorrow and you may wish to hook up with it once you get a good look...

Cheers,

5. eaglegray thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, purchased June 21. That was the auspicious day. And like any couple newly wed, we can't take our eyes off each other (well, that's more my problem, really:)

6. eaglegray thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm terrified of looking at new (newER) models. I haven't decided if the iMac is a product of the Divine or the Diabolical — it is so easy to obsess over it. I did hear rumours of a black beauty coming out.

7. newportmac macrumors member

Well lets all hope the marriage is a strong one because at 10am tommorow morning you're going to experience a newlywed trauma equivilant to the wife having a weekend romp with your best buddy...

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Smiling as I read this ode to your beautiful iMac! I can relate sooo much! My first Mac was the G5 Rev B iMac, which I bought when the newest model with the built-in iSight camera was hitting the streets. I had never used a Mac before, I was feeling very tentative about my decision, and I kept reassuring myself as I drove my new baby home from the store that night that, hey, if I didn't like it, I could return it. I really, truly, honestly, never expected to fall head over heels in love with the thing!! Well, she wrapped herself around my heart in nothing flat and I quickly became a convert to All Things Apple..... That first iMac led to my first iPod, to my first Powerbook, to an MBP a few months after the intel-based machines became available, to a Mac Pro..... I've definitely gone Mac and I am NEVER looking back!

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nah, more like finding out that Ms. Mac has a hot younger sister.

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If the new iMac looks anything close to the mockups seen so far, I will laugh at the people who will be stuck with such an ugly computer!!