New Intel Proc

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Boomhowler, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

Is the motherboard in the latest mac pro able to house a couple of hexa(? 6 of them)-cores? They are Xeon, after all...

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No it uses a different socket. They are designed for servers only not workstations.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Umbongo, have you seen an official name yet?
    Thus far, I'm still referring to it as the Gainestown EP.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

If you mean i7/Nehalem based Xeons then yes Gainstown EP seems the best thing to refer to it at the moment. i7 Xeons, Nehalem Xeons, Gainstown, it's code name (i.e. 5400 series currently). Ahh Intel's naming system is a wonderful thing to behold.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

The last article I'd seen indicated that the i7 logo was incomplete in reference to the yet officially unnamed parts.

And yes, I agree their naming scheme can leave many confused. :p

6. m1stake macrumors 68000

I thought they were going to keep the Xeon name.

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They will. Xeon is the server/workstation brand. But then they have the i7 branding for Nehalem, the "Nehalem" codename, the processor codename "Gainstown" and then there will be the product id like the 2.8GHz are E5462.

8. WonderSausage macrumors member

WonderSausage

Hold on, you guys are talking about two completely different things.

The original poster was asking if the newly announced 6-core Xeons are compatible with the Mac Pro. The 6-core Xeons (7450, 7455, 7460) use current 45nm technology with three 2-core modules (Intel 45nm dual cores use one module, quad cores two modules, within the same CPU package).

The 6-core Xeons are NOT the new Nehalem architecture, which is due out in the late Oct-Nov timeframe. The reason they are not Mac Pro compatible is not because they're a new architecture, but merely because Intel has chosen to release them only in the 7000-series (quad+ socket) package. The Mac Pro requires 5000-series (dual socket) package.

The 32nm Nehalem architecture is entirely new and will require a new Socket 1366. The dual-socket version of Nehalem (which a new version of the Mac Pro will probably be released for) is code-named Gainestown.

WS

9. m1stake macrumors 68000

They're not socket compatible with the Mac Pro either, these processors are a huge step up in price as well. Good for servers, not good for workstations.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

What? :confused:

The Nehalem line starts out on 45nm, not 32nm. It requires the X58 chipset as well as the 1366 pin socket on the boards to make it work. It will get shrunk in the following update, indicated on Intel's roadmap (tick-tock cycle).

11. Boomhowler thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks, this is what I was looking for. Too bad :( Have to live with 2 quad cores for a while then :)

Regarding server processors, the Xeon chips that are in the current Mac Pros are "server processors" so that wouldn't really matter.

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

The Mac Pro ones are for DP (dual processor) servers and workstations the 7000 series are for MP (multi-processor) servers. I should have been more clear what I meant by that, sorry.

13. Boomhowler thread starter macrumors 6502

14. thereubster macrumors member

yeah, the new 6-core Xeons are socket 604 and the Mac Pro uses S771, so totally incompatible