New intel processors consume less power than core2quad 'S' Series

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wesleyh, Sep 8, 2009.

1. wesleyh macrumors 6502

Well, some of you thought that the imac was going to get the core2quad S series processors (65w) - Now the new core i5/i7 is revealed as to consume less power (at idle) - Could this be used for the next imac?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-13.html

[​IMG]

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Aren't those 95W? How about heat? With thicker iMac, yes but I can't see them in current iMacs, unfortunately. They may consume less when idle but when under 100% iMac would smelt. Would be amazing though

3. Queso macrumors G4

A possibility for the high-end 24", but I'll be surprised if they can squeeze them into the smaller model.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the desktop models can be this efficient, we can only expect mobile versions to be more efficient right? If that's the case, we should expect Apple to only make the iMacs thinner.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yup. Arrandale tops out at 35W and that includes CPU, IGP and memory controller, so no need for Northbridge chip used in current Macs. Current iMacs have 44W CPU + ~10W Northbridge chip and '08 model had 55W CPU + Northbridge.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Why is everyone obsessed with Apple making every Mac thinner? I for one would like a damn desktop processor in the iMac (what a concept). Otherwise, we're never going to go over two cores (and Arrandale's hyper-threading doesn't count).

Personally, I think Apple should really reconsider what the iMac's main purpose is. The days of the living room desktop PC are over, and Apple's desktop sales show that.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Apple has done iMac thinner over the years, that's why. I'd love to have iMac with desktop CPU and GPU but it seems like Apple likes it thinner

In near future yes, but in future no. Clarksfield will go 32nm in mid 2010 so that may be used or Sandy Bridge in late 2010 - 2011

I agree. Currently Apple offers overpriced AIO desktop with laptop parts and full size tower with server grade, extreme fast Xeons. "xMac" would be awesome but I doubt we will see one...

Thicker and better cooled iMac = desktop parts = our dream iMac

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Yeah. I'm just bitter. The iMac is my favorite Mac, and it's sort of been stuck in this Core 2 Duo rut since 2006. This is the longest we've been without a substantial processor change in the iMac since the G3 processor.

It's time to give it an overhaul.

Chart courtesy of wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imac.

Attached Files:

9. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

10. wesleyh thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It is possible, Apple just have a cetain view about things that doesn't always make sense to everyone else. These new processors are not more suitable than the "S" quads though.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I agree. Apple could use them in iMac but they don't want to for some unknown reason(s). That just sucks

13. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Don't forget the lack of quad-core mobile CPUs in the iMac (and we know heat is not a problem there).

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

But there are handful of unofficial reasons why Apple haven't used mobile quads. Not willing to list them again because I know you know them :cool:

15. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Apple Gaping Lineup Hole

Yeah, I definitely agree! The iMac sufferers from the same heat issues that the Power chips produced in earlier Apple offerings.

Subsequently the iMac will be "crippled", having to use low power, low performance chips unless Apple changes the cooling (or severe lack?!) the iMac currently uses.

Therein lies the cause of the infamous "Apple Gaping Lineup Hole" which is the Grand Canyon-like gap between the iMac and the MacPro.

Please fix it, Apple.
    :eek: