New internal hard drive - kernel panic when I try to boot up

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Skally, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Skally macrumors newbie

I have just put a new HD into my late 2006 iMac 2111. It was a Wster Digital Green 1TB drive - I was told that it would be compatible. I used ifixit to change it - wasn't difficult and went really smoothly. Now I'm trying to format the new drive. If I use start up manager and select the cd (original disc I installation disk - Tiger) it chews a toffee and then has a kernel panic.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Did you select "GUID" under the "Options" button when you partitioned/formatted the new drive? The drive may come as a Windows format by default.

3. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

No, because I can't get that far. I am trying to boot up on the original installation discs and as soon as I select the cd drive to boot up on, it thinks about it and then has a kernel panic. Same if I try to boot up on the Lion flash that I made months ago when I started having problems and if I try to boot up on Disk Warrior. I am trying to boot up so that I can format it and then install the operating system. Am I missing a step ?

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

OK ... that is strange.

You might check that your RAM modules are securely re-seated from the disassembly process. That could cause this type of issue.

5. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I'll try that next. I'm sure I put all the cables back OK but of course, there is a lot of fiddling that goes on around that area. Thanks- good thought. Will post the outcome.

6. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

Good idea but didn't make any difference. Next suggestion? Basically I am booting up with option key and then selecting Disc 1. I can hear it reading the disc but after about 30 seconds - kernel panic message.

7. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

OK so I have finally found my Snow Leopard disk and booted up holding the C key and after about 4 minutes the screen went blue and white
    again with the rainbow wheel has been running for about half an hour. Should I just leave it? Can't hear any noises so doesn't appear to be doing anything.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Almost sounds like your optical drive is bad. Was it working fine before you did this?

You can buy cheap USB CD/DVD drives on Amazon that you could boot to.

9. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know but I think so. For months my Mac was behaving really oddly. I know now that the hard drive was failing and had 'bad blocks' or that's what the Apple Genius Bar guy thought and it was. The Apple Hardware test on a loop ran for 22 hours and said the hard drive was fine but for a couple of weeks it wouldn't boot up except in safe mode (with shift key) although all the usb etc were still working and I thought that when you booted up like that, that they were disabled. After a couple of weeks, it wouldn't boot up any more which I think is classic bad block behavour. If I had bought Disk Warrior earlier and been able to run it before it stopped booting up, I probably wouldn't be having these problems. Now I've changed the drive, it won't even let me boot up using a disk. I have put my old drive in a caddy because I wasn't able to back up (this problem started when my time machine stopped working) so I thought I might try booting up on that in case it wasn't the drive. How can I test if there is now a problem with the optical drive? I still have my G4 which works perfectly so perhaps I should put Sow Leopard into it's drive and try and boot up like an external using a FireWire cable. What do you think. All advice gratefully received!

10. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Just for kicks ... you might try a PRAM reset ... let it cycle through for 3 "chimes" just to be sure.

Reset the PRAM. After pressing the power button, hold down these keys simultaneously: Command-Option-P-R, until you hear the startup chime at least one additional time after the initial startup chime.

11. Skally thread starter macrumors newbie

It would do three chimes, only 2 but didn't make any difference but thanks for the suggestion anyway.