New Internal Hard Drive on a late-2010 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by klm2, Jan 11, 2013.

1. klm2 macrumors newbie

My hard drive crashed and I will have to replace it with a new one. Any recommendations on what works best? I sometimes edit video and music on the MacBook so quality performance is a boon, but not a prerequisite.

I have considered Western Digital Blue, Green and Black as well as the Seagate Momentus XT.

Unfortunately, price is more of a concern than I would like it to be, but I'm willing to spend a bit more to have improved performance or memory.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. ybz90 macrumors 6502a

ybz90

What are your capacity requirements? Since cost is an issue, you may wish to avoid an SSD, but I personally think they are well worth the price of entry, especially since they are pretty cheap nowadays for 128GB and below. Otherwise, I've had great success with WD drives, but I haven't bought a mechanical 2.5" in quite some time.

3. klm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm quite interested in having 250 - 500 GB and to that end have found what appear to be quite sufficient and inexpensive options.

However, I'd be willing to compromise GB for performance if I could find an SSD with perhaps 150GB for somewhere near 100€

4. slomo86 macrumors member

slomo86

The cost between 128GB and 240GB when talking about SSD's is about the same price as the 240GB. I was able to find a 240GB SSD on Amazon for about $150 or 112 Euro. I would spend that little extra to go with a SSD. If you look in the signature all I run is SSD's and wont look back at mechanical hard drives as a System drive...

Another option is to go with the smaller SSD now, and pick up a cheap 1TB external drive later on down the road. You can get one of those for $80 (60 Euro) and up.