Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Hey, im trying to install tiger on my 13" white macbook. i just bought a new Hard drive for it but it wont show up as a disk i can install on. the error message "this software cannot be installed on this computer" keeps popping up even though it has worked on my old hard drive. Please help !

Last edited:

Rasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Yeah I've formatted it in every possible format and none of them show up as a drive i can install on

Rasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
yup i have. ive even made 6 different volumes on the same disk and formatted each one differently but none show up on the start up disk menu

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Is it the grey OSX install disc that came from that computer ?

That error message is what you get if you have the wrong install disc ?

Is it a retail copy of Tiger ?

Rasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Yeah its the grey 10.4.9 install disk that came in the box when i bought the laptop

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Yeah its the grey 10.4.9 install disk that came in the box when i bought the laptop

Ok - stick the disk back in the MacBook and startup while holding "D" - this will run the hardware test and should confirm that it is the correct disc.

How have you been formatting the disk - using disk utility from the startup disk ?

Rasta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2011
Ok - stick the disk back in the MacBook and startup while holding "D" - this will run the hardware test and should confirm that it is the correct disc.

How have you been formatting the disk - using disk utility from the startup disk ?

Okay ill try that :) and ive formatted it with disk utility on the install disk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.