New internal HD, old Time Machine. Re-use?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mainstreetmark, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mainstreetmark macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

I recently replaced my internal harddrive on my MBP (because half a terabyte costs $120!). Since I've never run a full Time Machine backup (excluded ~/Music, primarily), I used a spare external USB drive to backup and restore all my data to the new harddrive.

But, there is now a disconnect between my new harddrive and my pre-extisting time machine backup with 9 months of nice backup data. Is there some setting I can twiddle that'll make this new hard drive use an existing pile of TM backup?

- m

2. pprior macrumors 65816

I'm not clear on what you're saying.

If you have your original drive, and it's not crashed, then just use SuperDuper to clone it to the new drive. Then replace the drives after setting the new one as the startup/boot drive.

Then you can continue to backup your TM drive.

I don't see why you need to restore your TM data unless you had a crash.

3. PMartinez527 macrumors newbie

I used carbon copy cloner to duplicate my HDD to a new larger one. I swapped them out and everything works fine. However, when I plug in my external with my old time machine backups on it, under the time machine icon in system prefs it says "processing" and sits there for hours doing nothing. What is going on?