New internal hdd problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mihaidxn, May 30, 2010.

1. mihaidxn macrumors newbie

I just purchased a new Samsung HM640JI hard drive to replace my old 250gb fujitsu hd.
    The problem is, if I put the new samsung hdd inside and try to do a clean install of snow leopard, the setup always hangs at "extracting essentials" and I have to keep the shutdown button pressed to close my laptop.
    I thought I have a ram problem or that my dvd is busted but that's not the case because I inserted the samsung hdd in an enclosure, connected it via usb and the install went just fine.
    After the setup was over I rebooted a couple of times (still in usb enclosure) and everything was fine but after I inserted it in my mac everything went to hell: excruciating slow boot and runtime. I repeated the process twice to be sure.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it!

PS: my mac is a 15" 2.53 core2duo 9400m

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Are you sure that it's inserted correctly?, because it's really estrange that it's working fine from the outside, but fails when inserted...

3. mihaidxn thread starter macrumors newbie

It's connected properly, there's no room for error there and it's quite simple to connect. This is driving me insane!

4. mihaidxn thread starter macrumors newbie

5. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Nice work. So there you go.

My suggestion is to downgrade your EFI to 1.6 and see whether your problems disappear. If they do, great! If they don't, you can re-upgrade to 1.7 and start troubleshooting from square one again.

6. mihaidxn thread starter macrumors newbie

how do I downgrade the EFI ? better said, is it safe? I wouldn't want to turn my mac into a really expensive piece of aluminum :)

7. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

You shouldn't ask me as I have never done it myself. :)

You used Google successfully before and you should use it again. All I know is something about creating a boot CD and starting up your Mac on it and doing the firmware up/downgrade. Perhaps search through that link I provided.

Well, if halfway through the EFI programming process your Mac were to lose power (both mains and battery) I can imagine bad consequences. But since your Mac should be fully charged up and connected to the mains, the chances of that happening are almost non-existent.

8. mihaidxn thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought you knew the "recipe" :)
    Thanks a lot, if it weren't for you I would have probably went nuts by now trying to figure out what is wrong.
    Thanks again!

L.E: just finished installing Snow Leopard (after EFI downgrade) on my new 640gh hdd, transfered my files, checked and double checked, everything is running smooth.
    LedCop you're a lifesaver!

9. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

Ah, glad it all worked out for you! :D

Thank you for letting me know, and you're very welcome. Enjoy your :apple:.