New Internet Service: Half-Second Lag for Every Webpage Load

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
I recently moved to a new apartment and have new service with RCN: 10Mbps download, 2Mbps upload. There are a decent amount of wifi signals in the area, and I have the latest version of Airport Extreme.

Every time I click a link or submit a URL, there's a half-second or so lag before anything begins to load. Once a page begins loading, it is very quick. However, that lag significantly slows down my browsing. Would this be a wifi issue? An Internet service issue? Something else?

Thanks.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
I recently moved to a new apartment and have new service with RCN: 10Mbps download, 2Mbps upload. There are a decent amount of wifi signals in the area, and I have the latest version of Airport Extreme.

Every time I click a link or submit a URL, there's a half-second or so lag before anything begins to load. Once a page begins loading, it is very quick. However, that lag significantly slows down my browsing. Would this be a wifi issue? An Internet service issue? Something else?

Thanks.
It's likely a DNS issue.
Try changing your DNS servers to something like OpenDNS which uses the following addresses:
You can set these on your computer or in the Airport so that all the devices on your wifi get the same settings.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Can you explain a bit more? I don't feel entirely rerouting my traffic to an unknown address.

chrfr

macrumors G3
Jul 11, 2009
Can you explain a bit more? I don't feel entirely rerouting my traffic to an unknown address.
This isn't rerouting your traffic. DNS is how your computer translates, for example, http://www.apple.com to a specific IP address. The one you are using is slow; RCN's DNS servers have not been especially reliable for me. OpenDNS is a reputable DNS provider.

jason.siegel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Ok, thanks. I changed my DNS servers and it seems marginally better. I wouldn't exactly call things immediate, but maybe it's just the time it takes the code to download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.