New Internet Service: Half-Second Lag for Every Webpage Load

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jason.siegel, Jun 25, 2014.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

I recently moved to a new apartment and have new service with RCN: 10Mbps download, 2Mbps upload. There are a decent amount of wifi signals in the area, and I have the latest version of Airport Extreme.

Every time I click a link or submit a URL, there's a half-second or so lag before anything begins to load. Once a page begins loading, it is very quick. However, that lag significantly slows down my browsing. Would this be a wifi issue? An Internet service issue? Something else?

Thanks.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

It's likely a DNS issue.
    Try changing your DNS servers to something like OpenDNS which uses the following addresses:
    You can set these on your computer or in the Airport so that all the devices on your wifi get the same settings.

3. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you explain a bit more? I don't feel entirely rerouting my traffic to an unknown address.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

This isn't rerouting your traffic. DNS is how your computer translates, for example, www.apple.com to a specific IP address. The one you are using is slow; RCN's DNS servers have not been especially reliable for me. OpenDNS is a reputable DNS provider.

5. jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks. I changed my DNS servers and it seems marginally better. I wouldn't exactly call things immediate, but maybe it's just the time it takes the code to download.