New iomega hard drive won't appear on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by penerod, Jun 14, 2009.

1. penerod macrumors newbie

Hi there, was wondering if anyone can help me.
    I bought a Minimax iomega 500 Gb hard drive last week, and it has worked perfectly until now - (after spending days removing data from my 2 Macs on to it).
    I ejected it via the little icon in the finder window, like usual, switched off the power button at the back. When I went to use it again, I plugged the Firewire cable into my computer, switched the power button on at the back, and nothing! No icon on the desktop, I tried the other computer, different Firewire cables, but nothing. I need to get a USB to see if that works.
    Any ideas what could of happened? Its like 4 days old!
    Any help much appreciated:)

2. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Is your drive detected by Disk Utility? Does it need to be powered by an adapter?

3. penerod thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is powered by an adapter. It doesn't appear in disk utilities either. tried different cables, found a USB cable and that didn't work either. The light comes on, makes a noise but no icons appear anywhere, and since I've only had it since Thursday I am unfamiliar with it's normal bleeps and noises etc.
    Now I'm worried because of all this switching power on and off and trying all the different cables, that I've done even more damage, I didn't hit it though, yet, you think that would work? :)

4. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Try restarting your computer with the drive plugged in. There's a HD I have to do this with to get it to work.

I had an Iomega hard drive with a power switch. The power switch broke all by itself, could be your problem?

5. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Maybe try powering up the drive before you plug it into the computer (it shouldn't matter). If you have another firewire drive that is known to work, try using the cable from that (if you haven't tried that already). One other thing is to see if the computer even knows something is plugged in (system profiler). If system profiler sees that something is plugged in, you are certain the cable is good, then I would suspect something has either gone strange with the external drive power supply or the drive is dead.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I was just reading a thread where something similar happened to another users hard drive. The fix that they found on this thread was an SMC reset. Check it out

EDIT: What they did was just google searched: SMC Reset "name and model of your mac" and found out how. So what kind of mac do you have?

7. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

is it USB or firewire? In disk utility, does anything show up under usb or firewire? (like maybe 'unsupported device' or 'unknown device' )