Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Am i correct not to update my current iPhone to the new iOS 11.1.1 that’s released today because it will be newer than the iPhone X that’s on its way to me and therefore I will not be able to set up the new iPhone X the easy way because it will not be running the same iOS as my current one.

Thanks

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Am i correct not to update my current iPhone to the new iOS 11.1.1 that’s released today because it will be newer than the iPhone X that’s on its way to me and therefore I will not be able to set up the new iPhone X the easy way because it will not be running the same iOS as my current one.

Thanks

You can update your current phone if you chose. Your iPhone X won’t even be on 11.1 so out of the box it would have been asking for an update anyways. If you chose to restore from backup it will update first.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Not an issue anymore, during setup process phone will update to correct version before restore.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Not an issue anymore, during setup process phone will update to correct version before restore.

I think a restore through iCloud it will auto update but when I plugged my X into my Mac and wanted to restore from my last iPhone 6 Plus backup 11.1 it made me manually update to 11.1 on my X first. Then I could restore from an archive backup.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Thanks for your replies guys, i'm usually good with this stuff, been an iPhone user since 2008, but i'm kinda confused a bit on this one. I thought if i upgrade my current iPhone 6 Plus to 11.1.1 which ics currently on iOS 11.1 would mess up the new Apple transfer sync because the iPhone X that will arrive soon will be version 11.1 and not 11.1.1

And as the YouTube Video that i posted shows at 3:27min into it, you'll get an error unless both phones are on the same version of iOS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Understood, enough said, got it.

Thank you
[doublepost=1510362049][/doublepost]This webpage states iPhone X is being shipped with iOS 11.1.1

http://bgr.com/2017/09/14/iphone-x-vs-iphone-8-specs-benchmark-ios/
It doesn't mention 11.1.1, just the theory/hope that perhaps iPhone X will ship with iOS 11.1 when it's released. That was almost two months ago. Now that iPhone X has already been released we know that at least the initial shipments have been coming with some version of 11.0 and not 11.1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pravda

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Just called Apple support, they said iPhone X that are being shipped now and will be coming in next week are on iOS 11.1 and if i update my iphone to iOS 11.1.1 then ill have to sync to the new iPhone X the old fashion way, not the side by side new way. Just a heads up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.