Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

2024 is just a few days away, and there are many iOS 17 and iOS 18 features that are expected to launch throughout the year.

iPhone-15-General-Feature-Black.jpg

Below, we have recapped new iOS features expected in 2024, including Stolen Device Protection, collaborative Apple Music playlists, AirPlay on hotel room TVs, app sideloading in the EU, next-generation CarPlay, roadside assistance via satellite outside of the U.S., RCS support in the Messages app, and generative AI for Siri.

Stolen Device Protection

ios-stolen-device-protection.jpg

Earlier this year, The Wall Street Journal reported about thieves spying on an iPhone user's passcode before stealing the device, often in public places like bars. With knowledge of the passcode, the thief can then change the victim's Apple ID password, turn off Find My, and more to gain full control of the device. The thief can also use the passcode to gain access to passwords stored in iCloud Keychain and other sensitive information.

Stolen Device Protection is Apple's hopeful solution to the problem. Apple says the feature is designed to add an additional layer of security in the event someone has stolen your iPhone and also obtained the device's passcode.

When the feature is turned on, Face ID or Touch ID authentication is strictly required for the following actions, with a passcode fallback no longer available:
  • Accessing passwords or passkeys saved in iCloud Keychain
  • Applying for a new Apple Card or viewing an Apple Card's virtual number
  • Turning off Lost Mode
  • Erasing all content and settings
  • Taking certain Apple Cash and Apple Card Savings actions in the Wallet app
  • Using payment methods saved in Safari
  • Using your iPhone to set up a new device

For especially sensitive actions, including changing the password of the Apple ID account associated with the iPhone, the feature adds a one-hour security delay on top of biometric authentication. In these cases, the user must authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID, wait one hour, and authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID again. However, Apple says there is no delay when the iPhone is in familiar locations, such as at home or work.

Actions that require Face ID or Touch ID authentication, and have a one-hour security delay, when the feature is turned on:
  • Changing your Apple ID password
  • Updating select Apple ID security settings, including adding or removing a trusted device, trusted phone number, Recovery Key, or Recovery Contact
  • Changing your iPhone passcode
  • Adding or removing Face ID or Touch ID
  • Turning off Find My
  • Turning off Stolen Device Protection
Stolen Device Protection is an opt-in feature that can be found in the Settings app under Face ID & Passcode, and it is available for all iPhones that are compatible with iOS 17. iPhone users who update to the iOS 17.3 beta are able to preview the feature.

Apple plans to share additional information about the feature once iOS 17.3 is released widely.

Apple Music Collaborative Playlists

apple-music-collaborative-playlist.jpg

A new Collaborative Playlists option for Apple Music subscribers allows multiple people to add, reorder, and remove songs in a shared playlist. Users are able to leave animated emoji reactions next to songs in the playlist.

This feature was initially expected to launch with iOS 17.2, but it was removed from that update towards the end of the beta testing period. The feature was re-added in iOS 17.3, and Apple's website confirms that it will return in 2024.

AirPlay on Hotel Room TVs

airplay-hotels.jpg

Following the release of iOS 17.2, Apple updated its website to indicate that an AirPlay feature for hotel room TVs has been delayed until next year.

Apple originally said the feature was "coming later this year," but it now says it will be "coming in an update in 2024." Apple did not provide a more specific timeframe, but the feature should be added in an iOS 17 update in the first half of next year.

The feature will allow iPhone users to scan a QR code on their hotel room TV to establish an AirPlay connection, allowing them to wirelessly stream videos, photos, and music from their iPhone to the TV. Google already offers a similar feature on some hotel TVs, allowing guests to stream content from their smartphone via Chromecast.

Apple in June said Holiday Inn parent company IHG Hotels & Resorts would be one of the first hotel chains to adopt the feature.

App Sideloading in EU

iOS-App-Store-General-Feature-JoeBlue.jpg

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman last year reported that Apple was preparing to allow app sideloading on the iPhone in order to comply with the European Union's Digital Markets Act. This would allow users to install apps outside of Apple's App Store, but the change is only expected to be made in European Union countries, at least initially.

Gurman recently said that he expects app sideloading in the EU to roll out in an iOS 17 update released in the first half of 2024.

Next-Generation CarPlay

Next-Generation-CarPlay-Porsche-1.png

Apple said that the first vehicles with support for its next-generation CarPlay system would be announced in late 2023, and it delivered on that promise with just days to spare. Earlier this month, Aston Martin and Porsche previewed what the next-generation CarPlay experience will look like in some of their upcoming vehicles.

Aston Martin confirmed that it will release its first vehicles with next-generation CarPlay in 2024, bu... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: New iOS Features Coming in 2024 for Messages, Apple Music, and More

Last edited:
Reactions: steve09090

CygnusTC

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
regarding Apple Music how about fixing it after all these years to not be such a pos? apple sure loves when you buy tracks or stream from itunes but as soon as you bring your own legal music they can’t keep track titles, artwork, etc. a 14 year old high school programmer can do a better job

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
As a dev, I really hope AI text generation will be on-device and I also hope all these neural engines Apple has put in our phones in the last 3-4 years will make it fast enough.

While OpenAI's API is great, it adds a variable cost and may be hard to sustain for some app segments.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
regarding Apple Music how about fixing it after all these years to not be such a pos? apple sure loves when you buy tracks or stream from itunes but as soon as you bring your own legal music they can’t keep track titles, artwork, etc. a 14 year old high school programmer can do a better job
That won’t be changing. Use a different app.

• Angry
Reactions: NetMage and Nimrad

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
As a dev, I really hope AI text generation will be on-device and I also hope all these neural engines Apple has put in our phones in the last 3-4 years will make it fast enough.
ChatGPT-level generative AI is not feasible on current iPhone hardware. Nor will it be in the next few years is my guess.

• Haha
Reactions: NetMage

famchrmichael

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2018
I’d like to be able to share my actual Focus status at some point in the near future (opt-in of course). There is a difference between „Sleeping“ and not responding for 7+ hours or being at the Cinema for like 2 hours for example
Totally agree. Have you given Apple some feedback?

I would love this feature for family and friends to know.

Reactions: AlanMarron

jvchappy

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2021
Stolen device protection will be key but I'm worried that some thieves won't understand and threaten their victims with more violence

Reactions: sos47

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Stolen device protection will be key but I'm worried that some thieves won't understand and threaten their victims with more violence

That's already an issue with people demanding the pin/password under threat of violence, but it will help with grab-and-go thieves.

I do hope that I can disable changing the ID at work. I work at a hospital, and it covers four city blocks.

Fionnybo

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2023
Hey, first-time MacRumors poster here - long time lurker.
Does anyone have any idea how this EU specific update will work in Northern Ireland? Technically we're in the UK, which has just left the EU, although, some of the Republic of Ireland's regulations get passed in the North. I've not came across any info on this, so any information would be lovely! :)

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I don’t think RCS support will be limited to iOS 18. It will be a server side change and I can’t think of any reason that any current iOS device couldn’t support it. Older iOS devices, even those that cannot update to iOS 17 currently, can support RCS since they all support Messages.
They need to ship an update to add RCS functionality to the app though. It‘s not going to be a server sided change only.

Also, article mentions RCS being talked about in this article then proceeds to completely omit that part somehow?

Reactions: NetMage and xmach

PommeFruits

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2023
Never had this issue in years of uploading music purchased from Bandcamp and other platforms.

Reactions: OUsooner08

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Hey, first-time MacRumors poster here - long time lurker.
Does anyone have any idea how this EU specific update will work in Northern Ireland? Technically we're in the UK, which has just left the EU, although, some of the Republic of Ireland's regulations get passed in the North. I've not came across any info on this, so any information would be lovely! :)
Unfortunately from what I have read the UK will be SOL. (And no matter how you slice or dice it, for now, NI is part of the UK.)

Yup… just one of those Brexit "benefits" that the ill informed/stupid chose to believe.

FranApple

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2020
Is anyone else having trouble keeping up with all the new features? I feel like they should have a separate app where they keep a running list of feature updates. I don’t even use a quarter of these updates.

Reactions: pappl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.