New iOS, have some iCloud questions?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by budmonster, Jan 2, 2014.

1. budmonster macrumors regular

Got a few questions about syncing, iCloud, etc.

Just got my iPhone so I'm new to iCloud and what not. I purchased Ski Safari on the iPad for my son. iCloud is turned on both on the iPad and my iPhone. I noticded the some apps/games I purchase through iTunes on my iPad will automatically download on my iPhone. Is that due to iCloud? Anyways, Ski Safari was purchased on the iPad, but it's not installed on my iPhone? When I go in the app store on my iPhone it doesn't show up under purchased it still says $0.99. This iCloud stuff is confusing me. Some things download right away and some dont.

Also, I have AirVideo HD on my iPad, I used it a couple times for streaming movies from my PC to iPad. When I go in iCloud, it's say 12.0GB is ready to be backed up. I have nothing downloaded on my iPad, no movies or anything, how can AirVideo need 12GB of space for iCloud backup?

Last thing. I downloaded that app "12 days" where it gives you a free download or whatever for the holidays. Well the movie Hugo was the free gifts the other day, it was a couple GB if I remember correctly. I downloaded it on my iPhone but I'm able now to play it on my iPad also. Where is it stored?

Thanks.

2. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

The movie Hugo is stored in iCloud and you stream it when watching on your iPad. You US people are so lucky with that. Here in Germany, you can only download movies or TV show episodes twice via "Available Downloads" on iTunes. If you used that up and e.g. accidentally delete it then it's gone forever.

I assume some of the apps not downloading onto your iPhone still have separate versions for iPad and iPhone.
    App developers used to create separate apps for iPhone and iPad (the latter with an HD name tag). If you bought the iPad app, you have to pay for the iPhone app seperately. As of now, developers tend to create universal apps, both eligible for iPad and iPhone/iPod touch devices.
    Have a look if there is an HD tag in Ski Safari.

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You need to log into the App Store on both devices with the same Apple ID to share purchases. Each device can have its own iCloud account registered to the device and still share purchases; Apps, Music and Movies.

4. iOSBry macrumors 6502

The automatic downloading of Apps, Music, etc. is configured via Settings-> iTunes & App Store-> Automatic Downloads. You'll need to login iTunes & App Store and iCloud on each device with the same Apple ID and configure the Automatic Download setting the way you want on each device.

IOSBry

5. Stuke00, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You do not need the same iCloud ID on multiple devices. My girlfriend uses her own Apple ID for her iCloud and we share an Apple ID for purchases. Logging into iCloud doesn't affect any purchases, only your contacts, email, backups, reminders, etc

6. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

both the ipad and iphone both use the same apple id, my email.

----------

ski safari on the ipad was not in HD. eathier was it on iphone. when i first downloaded the game on my ipad, a plain blue icon appear ob my iphone. it said ski safari but there was just a plain icon and i couldn't open it? so i deleted it. dont know what is going on.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Some apps are made to work on both iPhone and iPad. Some apps have iPhone versions and iPad versions separate. Something made only for iPad will not download to iPhone but something made for both will.

I going to guess it automatically downloaded something or you downloaded something without realizing

The iPad is streaming it.

8. budmonster, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that. But this game is designed for both, it should be downloading on my iPhone too.

Here is a screenshot of free game that was downloaded on the iPad. It started download on the iPhone but I guess stopped. It's also designed for both iPad and iPhone. You can see the stop button, it doesn't install. This is the issue I'm having with all downloads now.

013f5652050396287e140cabd2421511ba9b5d070a.jpg 01772c1c59954986d47c3e1d5801f0b5629e09c248.jpg

edit: my mistake. i was able to download the safar ski game on my iphone. for some reason it still said $0.99 as if I didn't already but it? So I clicked on it to see what would happen, I didn't care if I had to pay it again but it just gave me a popup saying "this was already purchased would you like to download it again". I just clicked yes, no issues. I got confused b/c usually if an app/game was already purchased or downloaded it shows a cloud with an arrow, showing that it was already downloaded/bought.

9. charlituna, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Nothing to do with iCloud. That's automatic downloads via iTunes. Check your phone settings. Some things might be bigger than the cell data 100 mb rule Nd you weren't on wifi or they are iPad only apps, thus why you didn't get them.

Don't confuse iCloud and 'in the cloud'. iCloud is your personal data. Your contacts, your calendar, your photos etc. In the cloud is things you have a right to access but aren't yours in a copyright sense. Like movies. They are 'in the cloud' via you being able to access them off the remote iTunes servers. Your iTunes purchase lists will show you those items. But it is not iCloud.

----------

To use it to its full potential you do. Because half the point of iCloud is to sync your stuff between your devices

Because they are 'in the cloud' not in iCloud.

10. budmonster thread starter macrumors regular

OK, so tell me if I'm understanding this correctly, just want to understand it properly. The "personal" iCloud (5GB) is for storing app/game data (not the actual games/apps), mail, texts, etc. What all does the personal iCloud back up again? For example, when I go into iCloud settings on my iPad, it lists everything that has been installed and has a on/off button next to each. When I'm doing these backups, I really don't even know what I'm doing, what is actually going on? Say I turn the iCloud button ON for say, Ski Safari and Notes. If I do a backup, what is actually saving to my personal cloud?

And then there is the invisible "Cloud" which stores all the downloaded music, movies, actual apps and games, which I don't get access to? This can't be touched and you cant physically take downloads from the Cloud and put them onto your PC for storage? Am I getting the jest of this?

Just a few more questions...

Above I mentioned that I downloaded Hugo from Apple, for that 12 Days app or whatever. You told me it was stored in the Cloud and not my personal iCloud. I just found Hugo downloaded in "C:\Users\*****\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Movies\Hugo\Hugo (HD).m4v". I thought that movies, apps, games, etc. could not be downloaded from the Cloud?

I also tried playing the Hugo movie on my PC, nothing would let me play it except iTunes on my PC. It wouldn't let me play it in HD though saying that I need HDCP or something? If I put my own videos into that iTunes Media\Movies folder on my PC, would they play?
    update: Now I can't even play it in SD, that option is gone for some reason.

Last iCloud question... I got a gift card for the App Store for my son. I already have my CC hooked up to my account keep in mind. I went into the App Store and Clicked on "Redeemable" and I scanned my gift card in. I purchased several games for my son that way and when I was done I would get an email that day or the next with a receipt for Apple listing all the purchases. Anyways, today I bought a game for him but I don't know if the Gift Card was actually used? In the screenshot below, it says I have $40 and some change left on my Gift Card but I used more than that. Is there a certain way to buy apps/games when using a gift card? Do I need to scan the gift card in before each purchase? And does it default to my CC for purchases if I don't? I haven't received any receipts for the gift card or even any charges or my CC, so I'm confused.

photo.jpg

Again, thanks for all the help!

11. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

As it tells you in the backup settings, it backs up your camera roll, settings, app data etc.

No. Not what I said. I said it's not the same as iCloud. The iTunes cloud is simply the original server. Which you can redownload from any time. Or if you are on a constant connection, simply stream if you would rather.

That is a DRM issue, nothing to do with iCloud, etc

As for purchasing, any non subscription or gift item comes off any gift card credit first. Then credit cards.