Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spjonez

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2013
Indeed two pointless and honestly frustrating lock downs.

1: No 3rd party keyboards installed (I used to 3rd party ones on my Palm5 years before Apple)

2: No 3rd party default web browsers allowed.

Thankfully now that over controlling person had gone, Apple can move forward as a company and stop treating it's consumers like children who would not understand anything other that what he deemed they should be using.
I think that's an over simplification based on your needs/wants. I'd love to see some improvements to the default keyboard, but I don't believe Apple should allow 3rd party apps to replace default apps.

If you want a consistent user experience you have to control all aspects of it. Nothing is more jarring to UX then drastic changes between screens. One of the main reasons people choose Apple is because of their consistency.

Apple would have to vet replacement apps to a higher degree then normal apps to ensure they worked in every situation the default ones do (other apps linking to them etc). What benefit is there to do this at the risk of increased issues? A small percentage of customers would appreciate it I'm sure, but the majority (based off the users I know) wouldn't bother. I'd rather them put effort into improving the keyboard rather then creating ways to replace it.

JerryCards

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Richmond, VA
I played with the app since last night. The keyboard is excellent, but the app itself is really hard to use. Copy/paste for now before apple allows third party keyboard.

I bought the App. The typing speed is quite impressive. It will be a big improvement if we can have something like that in iPhone keyboard.

roasted

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Everything we use today is copied from or inspired by something else invented before that. i'm surprised people still have to point it out or see it as something bad.

I don't deny that, nor do I have any sort of issue with iOS having this feature. I think it's a long-past-due feature actually. I just think it's ironic coming from Apple of all companies, who sues the ever loving snot out of everybody else for having even somewhat similar functionality, yet here they are implementing a golden feature that Android has enjoyed for years.

It's just laughable, more than anything. We'll use technologies similar to yours, and it's k, but utilize something similar to ours and we'll fight to the death in yet another epic courtroom battle like a little crybaby.

I'm sure I stirred the pot just now, but oh well. Just looking at things from an unbiased standpoint. ;)

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

If you want a consistent user experience you have to control all aspects of it. Nothing is more jarring to UX then drastic changes between screens. One of the main reasons people choose Apple is because of their consistency....

Right.

So having a keyboard like this one built into a few applications and then iOS's default keyboard rearing its head for the rest achieves such UI consistency?

akatsuki

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2010
The app itself is a bit too over the top... Just too many symbols and tries to be too cute.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Uh, no. Like people are going to talk to their devices within earshot of others.

Exactly. Plenty of people who don't care or have no manners or decency not to yell into their phones in public.

Cell phones are the cigarettes of this century. Pretty soon we'll see people standing outside restaurants like smokers, because they believe they have to be reachable every spare second , just so they can answer their friends:

"Not much"

(Assuming the caller on the other end asked: "What are you doing?")

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
why don't the developers just release it as a stand alone iOS keyboard for jailbroken devices? people will pay 2 bucks for that easily - i would. it'll hit a couple million devices and then whatever he makes from the app store app.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
why don't the developers just release it as a stand alone iOS keyboard for jailbroken devices? people will pay 2 bucks for that easily - i would. it'll hit a couple million devices and then whatever he makes from the app store app.

I think he'd do even better by putting it into a very simple app that lets you write whatever you want and then copy it to the clipboard to paste elsewhere. The current app is so badly designed that it's not worth using for that purpose, nor would I want to use it to store notes. He also needs to make available decent instructions on how to use the keyboard. If they're in the app, I haven't found them.

jsmith189

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
I don't really see the need to open it up for third party entries, I just think this is something Apple should be building into their stock keyboard. Which maybe with the larger screen sizes that may be doing? I think I'm in the minority when I say, apart from the lack of swipe functionality, I quite enjoy the iOS keyboard. I just think having a Swype/SwiftKey ability (with the option to turn it off if it's not wanted) would be beneficial. And would stop the complaining from both sides of the fence.

Having said that, while the keyboard is cool, the app itself is kinda horrible. And am I the only one that prefers the auto-space feature over the two handed feature? Swiping but still having to press the space bar seems to slow me down a lot and removes the fluidity that I love about Swype.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
I think he'd do even better by putting it into a very simple app that lets you write whatever you want and then copy it to the clipboard to paste elsewhere....

Yeah. This really makes for a great user experience....

What about typing something on your Android phone's Swipe of Swiftkey keyboard, then emailing or texting to your iPhone and then simply cut and paste? :rolleyes:

It's amazing that people still defend some absolutely idiotic iPhone/iPad decisions made by Apple, only to be rescinded later and introduced as amazing "new" features - here is a brief history of the more notable ones I remember:

-First it was only web apps (Jobs insisted that nobody needs real apps)
-then no cut/copy&paste
-then no 3G
-then no GPS (still not available on the non data capable iPads, despite misleading marketing materials showing maps)
-then no ebooks (the famous "Nobody reads anymore" pronouncement)
-then no multitasking

-now it's third-party keyboards.

Last edited:

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Yeah. This really makes for a great user experience....

What about typing something on your Android phone's Swipe of Swiftkey keyboard, then emailing or texting to your iPhone and then simply cut and paste? :rolleyes:

It's amazing that people still defend some absolutely idiotic iPhone/iPad decisions made by Apple, only to be rescinded later and introduced as amazing "new" features - here is a brief history of the more notable ones I remember:

-First it was only web apps (Jobs insisted that nobody needs real apps)
-then no cut/copy&paste
-then no 3G
-then no GPS (still not available on the non data capable iPads, despite misleading marketing materials showing maps)
-then no ebooks (the famous "Nobody reads anymore" pronouncement)
-then no multitasking

-now it's third-party keyboards.

Where in my post did you see me defending Apple? I'm also frustrated that they haven't done anything to improve text entry.

In your rush to criticize, you completely missed my point, which was that if the guy who developed the keyboard wanted positive exposure, he'd have released it in a simple, easy to use app that showcases his accomplishment. Instead, it's embedded in a horrible UI that detracts from a clever implementation.

h4ck

macrumors regular
May 26, 2006
i would never use one app to type, switch to another app and paste - waste of time and just seems stupid. i'd just use the keyboard in the application i was using.

I think he'd do even better by putting it into a very simple app that lets you write whatever you want and then copy it to the clipboard to paste elsewhere. The current app is so badly designed that it's not worth using for that purpose, nor would I want to use it to store notes. He also needs to make available decent instructions on how to use the keyboard. If they're in the app, I haven't found them.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
To open up third party keyboards is just like opening a can of worms...usually this kind of apps have "learning" functions for remembering your typing pattern to increase accuracy, so in theory some less than moral apps can log all your keys and therefore steal your passwords.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Really?

Maybe a few years ago. Jailbreaking is pretty dead compared to what it used to be. So few people do it now.

Better check your facts. The JB for iOS6.XX was a HUGE success and the one for iOS7 is not doing bad after some initial issues with China.

Just keepin' it real, bro.

:cool:

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
nor does it allow users to switch between swipes and standard key entry.

Say what ? Of course you can press individual keys rather than swiping .. Use that when I text in a different language and swipe won't work (too lazy to add additional languages).

Don't get that statement ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.