New iOS4 creates features the BlackBerry always had

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nlr, Jun 22, 2010.

?

Do you agree with this article?

1. Yes

29.4%
  2. No

70.6%
  1. nlr macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Today, June 21st Apple releases iOS4, the latest OS for the iPhone & iPod Touch line of products (visit our sibling site TiPb.com for everything iOS4). Many have called it revolutionary rather than evolutionary. I've been using this in beta since it launched in April and for me, I'd say Apple has reached into the 1990's playbook and are trying to lay claim to features that have existed in the smartphone world for over a decade.

In case you've been climbing Mount Everest or living under a rock since the beginning of April I'll review the "7 Tent Poles of iOS 4" and contrast them against what is available in the BlackBerry world.

Tent Pole 1 - Multitasking

[​IMG]

This is nothing new here BlackBerry has had multitasking in their devices since the beginning of time. On the BlackBerry simply pressing either "Alt+Escape" or hold down the "MENU" to will reveal the task switch ribbon.

Tent Pole 2 - Folders

[​IMG]

Apple now allows you to organize your apps in folders. Again something available on the BlackBerry for years now. The Apple approach is standard Apple format, when you put two apps together, iOS will name the folder for you based on the naming convention they decided in the AppStore. You can change the folder named handed down from on high, but why would you?

Tent Pole 3 - Enhanced E-Mail

Finally Apple brings multiple exchange account support to the iPhone, for some time I've wanted to use my office Exchange account and my Google Apps account on the same device. For the BlackBerry I've been running my Exchange account via BES and Google Apps with the Enhanced GMail plug-in.

Tent Pole 4 - iBooks

[​IMG]

Apple wins here, sort of. The Books app on the iPhone and iPad is beautiful and is very simple to use. In terms of raw book reading experience iBooks is very nice and buying new books through iTunes is easy.

Personally, I'm a Kindle user and still think this is the platform to go with. I can ready on my Kindle, BlackBerry or my PC and with WhisperSync I can stay at the same point of the book on all devices.

Tent Pole 5 - Enterprise

Apple has made some nice improvements here to make the iPhone more secure for the enterprise world, but the BlackBerry Enterprise Sever (BES) solution is so powerful that it makes anything else look like a high school science club experiment.

If anyone attempted to sell the iPhone security solution against a BES solution they need to look into upgrading their medication prescription.

Tent Pole 6 - Game Center

Admittedly, I'm not a gamer, I've even uninstalled Brick Breaker off my BlackBerry so this does not really scratch where I'm itching. However, with the explosion of Farmville and Mafia Wars on FaceBook - clearly social gaming is big and only getting bigger. So it stands to reason that the iOS4 gets into that world as the iPod is clearly moving to a gaming platform and not just a touch screen iPod.

Tent Pole 7 - iAd

As a user of apps not a developer of apps, this is probably the most useless of the "tent poles", a platform that is meant for more ads to be pushed to me and chewing up my data bucket is something that doesn't interest me in the slightest. Of course one could argue that by creating an ad platform will encourage more app development and therefore me, the consumer will benefit.

Really? The Apple AppStore has over 225,000 apps, Android Marketplace over 60,000 and BlackBerry AppWorld is steadily growing and now has over One Million downloads per day. Sounds like the development community is thriving to me.

Summary

Don't get me wrong, the new iOS 4 is impressive on the iPhone and iPod platform and will certainly be a success. I feel it is important however to point out that most of these features are already on the BlackBerry platform and have been for years. If one watched the "Steve Note" back in April, the fanboys were falling all over themselves with excitement that Steve Jobs had the foresight to invent a smartphone folder structure for the world. Makes me wonder, if Apple hadn't created these features in April 2010 - would my BlackBerry still have had them back in 2005?

Original Source: http://crackberry.com/new-ios4-creates-features-blackberry-always-had

2. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't agree with this article but I thought it would be interesting to see peoples views and thoughts on this.

The things which we are getting now should of been with the first iphone release with even more things like widgets, custom sms tones and a better lock-screen and I would like to see passworded folders and some new unique "innovative" ideas..

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iOS 4 isn't revolutionary. It adds features that other phones have had for years and you could have gotten them long time ago by jailbreaking. It's great update though, I'm really loving it! It's just... People go crazy when Apple adds something like folders. It took them 10 mins to code that anyway and even iPhone OS 1.0 could have had that. Something that other phones have had for years. It's still missing many simple things that I would love to see. For example, custom SMS tones

Apple's marketing scheme seems to work though, iPhone 4 broke all records, even though it doesn't add anything extraordinary.

4. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Apple doesn't always care about being the first. They just care about getting it right and how well it works with the device as a whole. Sometimes you will find Apple features are a bit more refined and polished, even if they are not break though ideas.

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

I agree with the posters above me. Apple isn't really about being ahead of the curve in terms of marketable software features. They make sure they get things right the first time for everyone. That said though, they can't anticipate or be right about how they go about this.

The result happens to be that iOS just works. Good things can wait. It's not like by taking their time they are losing customers. RIM is still a big player in big business but the Apple is gradually making it more friendly, and the only way is up for Apple, and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down any time soon.

6. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Cool, now when will Blackberry update their devices to run an OS that doesn't look like it comes from 1992.

Being able to browse the web would be a great start.

7. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Ten years from now people are going to be saying the same, these new features should have been on the first iPhone from the beginning...

8. bundu macrumors member

I really don't understand how people will disagree with this.

Apple is last to the party with most features. Their multitasking, wait... "app freezing with the ability to play music"... leaves much, MUCH to be desired. Their folders were implemented... nicely (?), I mean... how many ways can you really implement such a basic feature?

One 'unified' inbox should've been a no brainer since the first generation. iAd? This means nothing to the average user. Let's see... what else did Apple add? Game center... not even there. Home screen backgrounds, which is nice and I'm sure it took Apple 3 years to come up with the technology that allows this.

Anything else? Apple isn't even doing it better than everybody else anymore. App switching is the same on all phones,

People here will defend this company to the teeth, and I have no clue why. Overpriced products, lacking software and a douchebag at the helm.

9. Centient macrumors 6502

It's easy to take pot-shots from the peanut gallery. I'm not sure I agree with the stated premise here, as I don't see that many people pretending that Apple was the first to develop most of these features. In fact I think Steve Jobs goes out of his way to acknowledge that Apple wasn't the first to develop these things. The crux of the authors main issue looks weak when it isn't even supported by anything anyone from Apple has actually said. At least that I'm aware of.

If the author really wanted to get to a juicy nub he could tackle the way Jobs asserts that Apple, while late to the party, waited so that it could "get it right". Alluding to the idea that everyone else has it wrong. That's a notion that I take issue with.

I've been using these features on my enhanced iPhone for sometime and I think the development community has had it "right" on the iPhone for a while now. I think BB has had it right as well. Though I think the UI is superior on the iPhone and Droid as well. Matter of taste, but I know I'm hardly alone in that feeling.

10. Pared macrumors 65816

It's still a blackberry.

I'm not interested in such an antiquated device. The phone is allowing me to do more of what I would expect out of a desktop. That's all that matters.

But BB owners can keep hanging by a thread while RIM tries to copy everything the iPhone does well... and failing in the process.

All those storm owners regretted their purchase.

11. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

There's tons of phones out there that have more features than the iPhone. In fact, you can look at what features phones have today to actually predict what features will be added to the iPhone in the future. This is nothing new though. That said, the iPhone seems to implement these features very well and has the better experience and is eaier to integrate into your life.

12. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

+1 BB's OS always looked like Windows 95 in High Contract mode for the visually impaired to me.

13. bstpierre macrumors 6502

Your signature is hilarious!

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Just in case you're new to the game, Apple hardly EVER makes "new" products, they simply refine and make much, much better versions. There were plenty of MP3 players on the scene when the iPod came out, and look at where we're at now, less than 10 years later.

15. vmagg88 macrumors member

vmagg88

+1

16. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

I had a Blackberry for about a month last year and WOW if you're happy with that implementation of said "features", it was like I pulled one of my old Nokia Symbian phones out of the closet... heck it was even a free work account and I still sent the thing back.

To each his own I suppose.

17. alent1234 macrumors 603

i have a 3GS and a BB 8330

folders is much better on the iphone. i've used it on my BB for a few days and it was annoying. plus most of the apps are useless out of signal since they are just icons for a website.

multi-tasking was nice but it got annoying trying to run radio and a twitter app that always updated. i would get emails 20 minutes late since the other apps hogged up the radio and the phone would be laggy

BES has a lot of features but it's expensive and you have to buy licenses. activesync has most of the features people want for a cheaper price

18. Tee Hee macrumors member

One thing Apple is good at is marketing. They always turn nothing into something.

I do love my iPhone, but sometimes I just shake my head...I mean copy/paste DID NOT need refinement or any sort of innovation added into it. Copy/paste is what it is. Same with multi tasking and MMS. These things are very straight forward and speak for themselves.

Honestly though, I was pretty late to the iPhone party. My first was 3GS, so I can't really relate to what you veterans have been through.

There's still jailbreaking...

19. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Great....so when is the blackberry going to catch up to all the features iPhone has had all along..

Yeah..that's what i thought..

20. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

You keep drinking your blackberry flavored koolaid...I'll stick with my iPhone.

This thread is hilarious..
    "I think it's important to point out that these features have been on blackberry..blah blah"

Important? To who, exactly?

You do realize that you are on a freaking iPhone forum...right?

You might have a better chance of convincing the users on bb forums...but on here, you just look like some delusional bb evangelist..

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Uhm, it's from Crackberry.com

I think that is a blackberry forum.

22. LoganT macrumors 68020

Copy and Paste on the iPhone is the best copy and paste on any mobile device. Not even Android has copy and paste that is as good as Apple's.

23. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I completely disagree with the article and I am no Apple fanboy. Blackberry is Not exactly on the Edge of technology and their OS is one of the worst available on the market. Blackberry is just very good in emailing and they also offer Great Management tools for enterprise customers.

As far as the specific comments concerns, I can say the following:
    Multitasking in iOS 4 is still not where I would like it to see it. I prefer Web OS's implementation.
    Folders are a much needed feature and was sth that most OSes always had. It is nice to see Apple catching up, but that doesn't mean that iOS is a bad operating system, sth that the writer of the article implies...
    The thing that many people don't want to see or understand is that Apple is enhancing their OS in all conceivable ways. The multitouch interface and the way the whole OS works, have nothing to do with anything else out there...

24. tangfred macrumors member

Will a blackberry allow me to VPN into my corporate network and run SSH and Remote Desktop?

No? Well then, it's not just iOS vs. Blackberry OS that you need to take into consideration, is it?

25. fuzion macrumors 6502

Here's my basic view on the whole thing.. think about it like the automotive industry.

Let's say Blackberry came out with a 4 cylinder automotive engine.. We'll say it's a SOHC 8 valve engine.

Apple looks at it says hey.. we want to do something like that too, but let's customize it to provide the best experience for the general user base.

So Apple comes out with a 4 cylinder engine.. But they did some research and said.. if we put another cam shaft in there and make the engine DOHC, we can also add an additional inake and exhaust valve to each cylinder to increase response/efficiency. Hey, while we're at it, we can also create adjustable valve timing to change how the engine reacts at certain RPMs to optimize fuel economy and power.

So loosely translated back to technology here:

Apple may not be the pioneer of these things, but they sure as hell take the time do it right so it functions flawlessly on their hardware/software and the general user base is happy with it.

That's my two cents. /shrug