New iP4 purchase: what extras?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Cogmate, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Cogmate macrumors member

Admitted newbie.
    Puter literate ..., but just learning smart phones.
    Will purchase new 16GB iP4 any day now.

I anticipate:
    DataPro 2GB: $25.00 mth.
    Nation 450: 40.00 mth. Don't talk on the phone much.
    Messaging 200: 2.00 mth. Never texted before.
    So now I'm at $67.00 mth. Plus taxes & fees.

With new ip4 purchase - what additional things (hard or soft) would you find kinda necessary to buy. Not lifestyle things, but items needed or highly recommended for use with, or to preserve the life & quality of my new ip4.

Like a car charger.
    Charger for home desk.
    And something to carry it on my belt.
    Bumpers or Case or both (?)
    Ear buds? Decent, but not a sin if I lose them.
    App(s) that are a must. As if phone isn't much good w/o them.

And ~ better to buy at Att store, Apple Store, Att web site, Apple online store?

Thanks a ton. I'm kinda excited to be entering this new age of technology. (i'm 59)

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

highly recommend some screen protectors (front & back) and a case (of some sort) whether it be a slider, bumper, etc. I actually have three cases, each of varying levels of protection (bumper, Showcase and OB Defender)

Definitely might want to pick up a car charger. DO NOT get a cheap one. If you are going to get one, I'd seriously recommend you get a good, name brand charger instead of the cheapo eBay ones.

All other things like docks, bluetooth headsets, earphones are all up to you and your definition of "necessary"

As for where, I usually stay away from retail stores like the Apple Store or AT&T store for accessories since you can get them online for dirt cheap. Only downside is that most places, since they're in China, take forever to ship to you. Since you don't have yours yet, might want to order now and hope they get here whenever you get your iPhone. Here are some places that I usually frequent whenever I need some accessories;

http://www.boxwave.com/index.htm
    http://www.dealextreme.com/
    http://www.handhelditems.com/
    http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp
    http://www.sw-box.com/

3. Cogmate thread starter macrumors member

That's the type of info I'm looking for.
    Thanks h1.

Do you think I should purchase the actual phone in person ~ or online?

If in person ~ might get lucky with a sales person who's really interested in set up and accessorizing for me ~ and not generic.

I can afford decent quality merchandise ; just not lavish or unnecessary spending.

4. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Well, buying in store or online is up to you really. If you want your phone instantly then I'd recommend you go in person, preferably to an Apple Store as opposed to an AT&T store. I'm in MD too and the AT&T stores I've gone in have almost always had, shall we say, less than knowledgeable staff. Besides, Apple stores are much more fun to shop in :)

Regardless of whether you go to the AT&T/Apple store, both will try and upsell you with accessories and what not whenever you purchase your phone since that's their job. The accessories in AT&T are usually so so at best however the Apple stores have the top notch goodies available and pretty much any imaginable accessory you can think of. The AT&T stores will have a couple good items along with some cheap stuff. If you're okay with dishing out some money for accessories and are angling to buy the phone in person, then going to the Apple store is a no brainer. (FYI, the Apple store in Tysons is probably the best one around. The one in Montgomery is smaller and always smells funny for some reason)

If you're okay with waiting and getting very cheap prices for your accessories, then I'd recommend you buy your phone and accessories online.

5. Cogmate thread starter macrumors member

What a great reply. Thanks h1 !

Agreed, the Apple Store is where it's at for staff & goodies.

I understand the up-sell part. Can handle that with eyes open.

The Towson store is closest to me, so that's where I'll go, and
    they've been pretty good to me in the past.

It's looking real. Thanks again.

6. peteisanidiot macrumors regular

i agree with most of this post but i'd actually recommend against screen and back protection. every screen protector i have auditioned changed the feel of the glass for the negative. i've had my phone in the same pocket as keys and even some jagged metal scraps (whoops) and have not sustained any screen scratches.

especially if you foresee upgrading within the next 2 years i'd recommend against screen protection. enjoy the feel of the phone as it was designed but just practice some basic caution in how or where you use it. cases are generally a good idea - but don't expect miracles.

7. codyst macrumors regular

codyst

I'm in love with the basic Speck cases. They look and feel great, and do what they are supposed to do!