Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

docbluedevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Hi, all.

Last week, I bought my first iPad (1st model, 3G, 64 GB) via the ATT deal. It came loaded with iOS 3.2 (iirc?). During the set-up process, i was alerted that a 4.3 update was available.

During my research prior to the purchase, I came across observations/comments from iPad 1 users that the 4.2 (or 4.3?) update caused problems with the Apple Camera Connection Kit, battery issues, as well as noticeable slowing of Safari and other apps. And it doesn't appear that any of these issues have been addressed/resolved with the 4.3.1 release.

I plan to use my iPad for basic stuff (e.g. web browsing, email, movies, e-books, kids apps, etc.) and will see how it could be used for my amateur photography as well.

Although there are some benefits to updating to 4.3 (e.g. multi-tasking, app compatibility, supposed faster Safari speeds, etc.), I'm wondering if I should just keep my iOS 3.2, based on the aforementioned concerns.

Curious what iPad 1 users think if I should keep iOS 3.2 or update?

Thanks for your thoughts ahead of time!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The only real "problem" 4.x caused was that you could no longer use "non-approved" USB peripherals, like a USB keyboard or USB storage drive, through the camera connection kit. So unless you wanted to do that kind of non-standard usage, there is no reason why you shouldn't upgrade. And personally, I haven't noticed any slow down of Safari or any other apps.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
A lot of the Apps are optimized for IOS 4.0 or greater. That alone is more than enough of a reason to upgrade, I'd think.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
The Only reason I updated my iPad to 4.3 is because of coremidi and most apps I like are not supporting 3.2 any more

Another thing was multitasking, but IMO iPad 1 multitasking ain't that great

rickreiko

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2010
I would definitely go to the latest jail broken os first to see if you like that and then go to the newest if you don't.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
The only real reason not to update is if your going to jailbreak since the newest revision hasnt been jailbroken yet.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Do not update. I have your same set up. Ihave 4.3.1 and safari is noticeably slower.

Unless you need multitasking keep 3.2. If you really want to update search for tiny umbrella just in case.

But it you use tiny umbrella, you may have issues upgrading. If you have, just google the error message you get and follow the instuctions.

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Do not update. I have your same set up. Ihave 4.3.1 and safari is noticeably slower.

Unless you need multitasking keep 3.2. If you really want to update search for tiny umbrella just in case.

But it you use tiny umbrella, you may have issues upgrading. If you have, just google the error message you get and follow the instuctions.

You're going to be seriously limited if you stick with such an old OS, and Safari certainly is not slow. Slower than 3.2, I can't say, but it would have to have been lightning quick for that to be true.

FromtheRight

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Ever since I upgraded my iPad 1 from 3.2 I've run into two serious software bugs, namely a "null app" appearing on the bottom app bar and "The Daily" app failing to get the latest daily edition. Both of these required a hard reboot to fix. I'm not running any wierd apps, just garden variety simple apps. I have a lot of unused memory. My strong vote is that "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
Ever since I upgraded my iPad 1 from 3.2 I've run into two serious software bugs, namely a "null app" appearing on the bottom app bar and "The Daily" app failing to get the latest daily edition. Both of these required a hard reboot to fix. I'm not running any wierd apps, just garden variety simple apps. I have a lot of unused memory. My strong vote is that "If it's not broke, don't fix it."

There's a difference between a bad OS and a bad update. Sounds to me like your update just didn't take properly. Very few, if any, seem to be having any issues. That's a good indication that the upgrade is fine. 4.3.1 runs fine on my iPad 1.

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would upgrade.

Etrain

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
Land of Cleve
It's my understanding that if you download tiny umbrella and save the SHSH that you can later downgrade back. At least that's what I did before upgrading to 4.3 a couple days ago (also recently got a new iPad 1). But so far so good. Everything seems fast.

docbluedevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Good to hear that update issues are in the minority.

I'm not really a jailbreak kind of guy, so I'll either stay with 3.2 or more likely update to 4.3. Multi-tasking, folders, 4.0 compatible apps would be nice. A safari speed bump would be great as well.

2 questions left in my mind before I update:

1) Can anyone confirm that the Apple camera connector kit still uploads photos via the SD card reader?

2) And how about battery issues? I've read that the iPad 1 took a battery life hit with the 4.3 update.

Meyvn

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Seriously, please update your OS. To do otherwise is to practically handcuff your device.

I can absolutely confirm #1. I can't even believe you'd be seriously worried that Apple could get away with making one of its own accessories stop working on purpose and continue selling it.

#2, I think is going to depend upon your usage; I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer apps available use more resources, thus reducing battery life. But I've spent a lot of time with iPads on 4.x, and spoken with literally thousands of people about them. I've heard plenty of complaints about iPads, some reasonable, others less so; I've heard the occasional complaint about the updates (the only one I heard more than once was changing the functionality of the side switch, which was specifically addressed in 4.3), but one complaint I have never, ever, ever heard about an iPad is regarding battery life.

thedarkhorse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
of course the camera kit still works for transferring photos off sd cards, that's what it's for. The only issue I've had with iOS4 was the removal of the orientation switch, which they've fixed in 4.3.

docbluedevil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the clarification regarding my questions, all. Maybe I misread threads about my questions regarding the camera connection kit and battery life.

I'm sold on updating to 4.3 after the excellent info you all have provided.

Best regards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.