iPad New iPad 1 owner-need case and maybe car mount

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Yoursh, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Long story short, I ended up buying a 1st gen iPad which is currently in route to me via FedEx. Only downside is now I need to find a case for it. Unfortunately, most stores have long since stopped carrying 1st gen cases, so I will have to find something online. Since I can't try anything, I figured I'd check with the forums to see what the consensus is on 1st gen cases. I need something durable, so I've been leaning towards tracking down an Otterbox case. Has the 1st gen model held up for people. Any other ideas would be appreciated. Don't need one with a folio cover or one with a keyboard. Love the Lifeproof case for my iphone and wish they had a case for the ipad 1.

Other question is more ipad general. I will also need to track down a car mount for the ipad. My vehicle design would make a windshield or air vent mount not feasible. I've seen some mounts online that are a flex arm that attaches to the passenger seat base. Anyone use or used anything like this? Any opinions or recommendations would also be appreciated.

2. snow755 macrumors 6502a

snow755

better yet why not re turn the ipad 1 wish is out of date has far has IOS update gos and get a ipad 4 wish would be a lot faster then the ipad 1 and with ipad 4 you all so be geting IOS 7 wish you will not be geting on the ipad 1

3. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

For this specific use case, I needed a pre-iOS6 device. Ideally, something that is on iOS5. I was originally looking at getting an older ipod touch, but found the price of the first gen ipads have really dropped. Was able to score a maxed out refurb ipad 1 for around the same price a high capacity 2nd or 3rd gen touch would have cost me. With this, I can also play with the ipad specific apps. Just need to find a case....

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It has for some and it has not for others. People don't all have identical requirements and usage.

I always recommend ProClip's device mounts. Generally I'd recommend Panavise over ProClip for the vehicle mount though. If you're looking for an inexpensive solution then that won't work. It always helps to provide your specific needs/wants and budget when asking for recommendations no matter what the topic.

5. Yoursh thread starter macrumors 6502

I've looked at ProClip mounts before, but unfortunately it won't work in my case. The mounts for my vehicle would work great for a phone, but the ipad mount would block half the center console/center vents or be at an impractical angle.

I decided to try one of these for a mount. http://www.arkon.com/tablet-accessories/universal-tablet-car-mount.html Cheap enough to try and if it works, maybe upgrade down the road.

As for a case, I'm going to try and hunt down an iPad 1 Otterbox. Seems to be the best option for my use as rugged protection is my main concern.

6. Anthony81586 macrumors regular

7. macaholicsanon macrumors newbie

Case and car mount option

There is a case called the case genius that does have a car mount straps on the case and has a great stand function. However it is a folio case so not sure it would fit your needs but thought I would let you know anyways.

8. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Return the 1st gen and get something newer. 1st gens are horribly slow and look very dated now.