New iPad 100% to 99% sooooooo long

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Mar 25, 2012.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

My new iPad (3rd gen) battery depletes really fast, but it stays at 100% very long -- the first 1% decrease takes really long. It's like a car fuel gauge if you know what I mean. :D

2. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

mine takes less than 10 minutes, not necessarily long at all.

unless 10 minutes is long to you, then I somewhat agree.

3. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Hmm.. mine on standby lasts really long. Recently, I was using mine for about 2 days. It was pretty average use, browsing, reading, emailing for about 2-3 hours several times a day. When I decided to finally charge it again it was still at 20%. I'm happy with the battery life. In fact, with my iPad altogether there's no issues with it at all.

4. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

That happened to me as well until I completely drained the battery and recharged it. Now it's a lot more consistent.

Before I drained and recharged the battery, my iPad was at 100% for three or four hours.

5. ObsidianBlade macrumors regular

This.

6. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I believe I read about this somewhere, the iPad can continue to charge up to an hour after it says 100% because the mathematical formula for how fast the battery drains has not been updated for the size of the new iPad battery and the amount of power that is drawn from it. So some iPads could theoreticaly last on 100% power for up to an hour before it drops to 99.

Will most likely be corrected in a furture iOS update.

7. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

What's the usual first update time for a new release?

8. bill-p macrumors 65832

Mine does this as well.

In fact, I timed it once. It took 45 minutes for mine to get from 100% to 99%, and that's at max brightness, playing back Netflix after a fresh unplug from my MBP.

Worth noting is that I left it overnight.

9. doboy macrumors 68000

Mine did that initially, but after few charge cycles including a full discharge-recharge, the battery meter is behaving normally.

10. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

No way to tell for sure, it varies, but I would expect 5.1.1 to come out very soon because there are a few heavy security issues with safari in 5.1, and I assume they would toss in the fixed up equation along with it.