Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
Is there a list of new or updated apps specifically optimized for the iPad 2 that's ou anywhere yet? I've seen a few apps here and there (Infinity Blade, Real Racing2), but haven't been able to figure a way to search for apps that utilize the gyroscope and faster processor so far. Anybody know? :confused:

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Is there a list of new or updated apps specifically optimized for the iPad 2 that's ou anywhere yet? I've seen a few apps here and there (Infinity Blade, Real Racing2), but haven't been able to figure a way to search for apps that utilize the gyroscope and faster processor so far. Anybody know? :confused:

iMovie because of the cameras, though apparently it runs fine on original iPad.

You're mostly going to see it in games that can run in an "enhanced" mode for iPad 2, or high-end, expensive apps flat out require an iPad 2. The iPad 3 will be out, at least, before you see more than a very few app developers kissing off 15 million potential customers who own original iPads.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Rage HD has gyroscope for the iPhone 4 and is a Universal APP.

I just downloaded it, the virtual room control mode is crazy! To turn around you have to literally turn around.. really is exactly what it says.. like you are holding a window to a virtual space. I wouldnt actually play a game like that for long, but its crazy technology and a cool show piece for a cheap 2 dollar game.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
So I'm guessing all these iPad 2 enhanced apps will de-enhance the iPad1 experience thus, in time, making the iPad1 seem like a dog???

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
So I'm guessing all these iPad 2 enhanced apps will de-enhance the iPad1 experience thus, in time, making the iPad1 seem like a dog???

Read the comments for Real Racing 2 left from iPad 1 users in the app store. They are mad.

Dead SpaceHD looks Amazing on the iPad 2!!! Rage HD is a Dream to play now on the iPad 2 with Gyro!

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Alot of you guys are missing the point. All apps are going to be much faster even without optimization. The reasoning is two fold. One, the GPU can how push much more vertices and fragments (pixels) per second, so any and all games will get a significant speed boost. Also, any apps that use UIKit will get improved performance since these systems are all built upon apple code which has likely always been optimized for multi-core. Lastly, the double memory makes the system more responsive all-around.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Alot of you guys are missing the point. All apps are going to be much faster even without optimization....

Don't understand how they are "missing the point" about all Apps being faster when the thread is about iPad 2 specific Apps that use the gyroscope and/or enhanced graphics. :confused:

mlfarrell

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
Don't understand how they are "missing the point" about all Apps being faster when the thread is about iPad 2 specific Apps that use the gyroscope and/or enhanced graphics. :confused:

While I see your point, I just meant that alot of users will notice that almost all apps "utilize the faster processor" as the OP put it, especially graphics processor, without the need any explicit optimization. As an app developer, I've noticed this first hand. Being that the iPad 2 still falls under the armv7 umbrella, new builds aren't even needed.

The only major two cases where specifically targeting the new iPad would be required are
A) very significant CPU-driven data processing applications where a dual-core implementation would improve throughput (almost no apps on the store do this, I'm talking your ray tracers and advanced modeling software).
B) games/graphics apps where higher resolution textures and more powerful shaders are employed to take advantage of the additional memory and GPU horsepower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.