new ipad 2 dead after 29 hours?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aaronw1986, Apr 15, 2011.

1. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I got my ipad 2 approximately 29 hours ago. It was working fine and I left it to charge. I came home a few hours later, and it does not turn on at all. I've tried holding the power and home button multiple times (up to 60 seconds) and nothing happens. I've tried connecting it with the power adapter and directly to the USB port using 2 different cables. Still nothing. :mad: Did I end up with a lemon? I really don't want to return it and wait another 3 weeks. This is frustrating. Any help appreciated.

2. scwatkins77 macrumors newbie

Ugh. Seriously frustrating! Sorry about that.

I'd suggest trying to connect it to iTunes via USB, see if that kick starts it. Otherwise, if it's an electronic failure, you'll need to return it to Apple. If you take it to an Apple store, you likely won't have to wait for a replacement. They generally keep a stock of replacements on hand, and if they determine yours has malfunctioned, they'll swap it on the spot. Good luck!

3. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I've attempted to connect it to my macbook pro and mac pro through 2 usb cables. I've verified with an iPod that the cables do indeed work. It seems like maybe there is something defective with the iPads charging? I plugged it in when it was around 30%, it was at 50% when I left, and then came back like 3 hours later and nothing.:confused: Sadly, the closest real Apple store is about 2 hours away. There is an authorized dealer/repair place close though.

4. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Hopefully you purchased Apple Care. Despite the 2 hour drive going to the Apple Store the ride is worth it since you still have the 1 year warranty without Apple Care. If it is a lemon the Apple Store will swap it right there an authorized dealer will not do that.

5. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

2 hours each way... not really what I planned to get a working iPad 2 after ordering it 3.5 weeks ago. Considering I've had it a day, it is within the return window. I have a SquareTrade warranty for it which now I will probably also have to cancel and re-buy.

6. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I would try that power button and home button again. This time, hold it down for two minutes or so.

7. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I suppose I can try it again... I actually already held it for 3 minutes.

8. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Frankly, I'd call Apple. They'll pay for shipping the iPad back to them, and either repair (unlikely from the sound of it) or replace your iPad. While it means that you'll probably be without your iPad for about another week, it will save you 4 hours of driving, and unless you have another reason to drive in that direction, I'd say it's worth saving the 4 hours...

9. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I will try calling them first... However, from what I've read, unless I do a return they might try and replace it with a refurb. So, I may very well be without it for more than a week. :(

I was so happy to get to play with it more, it was a good experience while it lasted!

10. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Try holding down the home button while you connect the cable to macbook while iTunes is running.

Sometimes something goes wrong with the internal power bits which can be reset. Don't know how though, you'll have to go to a genius bar.

11. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

No luck, thanks though.

12. bmat macrumors 6502

that is a bummer. but even if it does come back to life, i'm sure you're going to want it replaced, because that is not normal behavior. my ipad 1 went dead once, and was nonresponsive and dark to any button pushing. But plugging into my computer brought it back to life. It seems you tried that, so there probably aren't any solutions other than a return and replace.

13. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

What's wrong with a refurb? I have a refurb iPod touch that's like 3 years old and works fine and looks absolutely brand new. I've had more refurb iPhones than new ones (and i've had 2 3G's and like 7 iP4's-I'm picky) and they've all looked and performed as well or better than a new iPhone.

14. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

An Apple refurb is actually a better deal than you think. The exterior casing is new, as is the battery. It's put through rigorous testing before it's allowed to be sold as a refurf, thus essentially guaranteeing that it works properly. If you are offered a replacement, take it!

(And hope that you're actually getting a refurb)

15. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

AppleCare would have nothing to do with this. He's only had it for a few hours. It's still under the regular warranty.

Not for nothing, but I would hope that Apple would ship him a new iPad and he'd put the defective one in the box to ship back ... all on Apple's dime. Of course they'd put a hold on your credit card so that you couldn't skip away with a free iPad.

I'm guessing they have very few refurbs ready. You'd probably get a new one.

There's nothing wrong with a refurb. However, the OP paid full price for a brand new one and got a lemon (maybe). He should get a new one in return ... or if they replace it with a refurb, they should give him some cash back.

While I agree that Apple's refurb products are top notch, the point is that a refurb is only a good deal if you pay less for it. Also, to your point that a refurb gets a full test to see if it works properly, that's irrelevant as a brand new iPad should also work properly. If a new iPad doesn't work properly, then it's defective and you'd get another one.

16. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

To be sure it isn't a wasted trip make an appointment with the genius bar so they can confirm they have a replacement.

17. aaronw1986 thread starter macrumors 68030

I called Apple this morning. I have to send the iPad in for diagnostics... it will either be repaired or replaced. Hopefully I will get it back by the end of next week and not have to wait weeks.

18. kes601 macrumors regular

We had a defective iPad at work. I sent it in on a Friday, it got there Monday, and we had the replacement bt 10:30 on Tuesday.