Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ofiaich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Hi everyone!

I know how to search and will do more searching this afternoon but hoping for a quick fix from an expert or two here at MacForums! ;)

I bought a new iPad 2 and have set it up with MacBook Pro and have apps, music audiobooks etc alll sorted.

I use a Windows XP :eek: tower style computer too and would like to set-up my iPad 2 with XP also.

The problem is that the apps in the iPad do not synch to the XP computer and when I check the apps in Itunes on the XP computer, with the iPad connected, and choose to synch, the messages tells me that the iPad's apps wll be deleted :eek: and replaced by the apps on iTunes in XP!

I am logged in with the same Apple ID as I use for the MacBook Pro and I have authorised the XP computer and got the prompt to input my password.

I know I could just update apps over the air and only use my MacBook Pro for synching, but I do not want to do just that as most of my films are on the Xp's hard disk! So I do want to change the films that are on my Ipad from time to time.

Any advice much appreciated, and, after Saturday lunch I will search more.

Ofiaich :p

ofiaich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
You can only sync with one computer.

Thanks Sean,

so if I want to use the XP computer as the first choice,

then de-authorise the MacBook Pro, and then maybe the iPad would sync all apps on it, to XP computers iTunes library?

I'll give that a try later..

Edit ... that did not work... oh well....!

Ofiaich :)

Last edited:

ofiaich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
hi darngooddesign!

I am not quite sure how to do that. I will power up iTunes on the XP computer and check out all of the menus! ;)

I am sure I am missing something obvious!

edit - thanks darngooddesign! I explore my account settings, within iTunes and found what I needed!

I will download, and check out what has been downloaded and then synch sometime after I wake up! Just after midnight here..

OOOh! 196 items to download...

Ofiaich :p

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
It might be simpler to just copy the iTunes folder from your Mac to your XP.

Here's one article that explains how to do it.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive

You can move iTunes libraries from Mac to Mac, pc to pc, Mac to pc, or pc to Mac. But once you move it, just stick to syncing with one computer, as moving the library back and forth among computers isn't worth the hassle.

BTW, if you just redownload your apps, iTunes is still going to first delete all your apps from your iPad, then reinstall them again.

ofiaich

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2008
thanks Night Spring!

I am redownloading apps now, and there are 237 items to download! :eek:

I can see some apps that I must have downloaded and delete a few years back! Some good sorting to do when I wake up! I will take my time :D

Thanks again!

Ofiaich

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.