Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
I have had the iPad mini 4 for the last 3 or 4 years which have served me well, however noticed my eyes seem to strain badly whenever i read, watch my shows, or surf since November. Which contributed my using the ipad lot less and started to rely on my 21.5 older iMac, however it is in our home office which isn't always convievient. I also upgraded my glasses RX 3 weeks ago, thinking eye strain was from older prescription, but it's still the same despite my new stronger rx. Inicidentally whenever i watch my 60" tv or read my kindle, i noticed no eye strain. Perhaps time to upgrade to a bigger iPad.

I can't decide which version of ipad to upgrade though! What are the main differences between the newer iPad 2017 and older ipad pro?

i use my current iPad to read, answer emails, Facetime, Facebook, read my news, magazines, go on different forums and stream my shows via netflix and on demand from comcast. The price tag for ipad pro seems quite hefty and i want to have 128GB at MINIMUM.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
I would suggest the Pro. If you have eye strain it will help. The 2017 has a non laminate screen and some have had issues. I have the 12.9 and the 2017 iPad. My wife has the 9.7 Pro. No issues with eye strain here. Price wise the 128GB 2017 model should be tempting if you test it in store first. Good luck!

Reactions: Donfor39

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I would also suggest the Pro. There have been a few other forum members who have complained of eye strain before and the reason I suggest the 9.7 Pro is it offers "Tru-Tone" display, which offers warmer tones an adjusts to the rooms lighting conditions.

Copied from Apple's website:

"True Tone display uses advanced four-channel ambient light sensors to automatically adapt the color and intensity of the display to match the light in your environment. Which means reading is more natural and comfortable."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hmm does the lack of True Tone on the 12.9 inch iPad Pro also mean that there may be eye strain on that model too?

That would only depend if somebody actually suffers from eyestrain. It all depends on the individual. However, The 12.9 inch iPad Pro was released prior to the 9.7 Pro that does not have Tru- tone display. Tru-Tone display is only exclusive to the 9.7 Pro currently.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
That would only depend if somebody actually suffers from eyestrain. It all depends on the individual. However, The 12.9 inch iPad Pro was released prior to the 9.7 Pro that does not have Tru- tone display. Tru-Tone display is only exclusive to the 9.7 Pro currently.

I see, I can't see the difference in the showroom though lol

But at least the 12.9 inch has laminated screen like the Air 2 and Pro 9.7, which will help more against eye strain right?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

But at least the 12.9 inch has laminated screen like the Air 2 and Pro 9.7, which will help more against eye strain right?

I think to really appreciate Tru-Tone display, it's something that you have to get used to and adjust to it based on the lighting conditions. The iPhone/iPad has such a stark blue light hue to it, it makes it difficult for viewing after a while. It's similar to Night Shift mode on your iPhone that is an easier transition on your eyes.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I think to really appreciate you Tru-Tone display, it's something that you have to get used to and adjust to it based on the lighting conditions. The iPhone/iPad has such a stark blue light hue to it, it makes it difficult for viewing after a while. It's similar to Night Shift mode on your iPhone that is an easier transition on your eyes.

Ah I see, no wonder. I didn't notice any blue hue from my iPad Air or iPhone 5 though

mindyoursoul

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2017
Stocktown - Sweden baby

I'm not going to answer like I'm 100% sure that it will, but most likely yes. I've been a iPad Pro 9.7" since just 2 months back and switched the True-Tone feature on straight away. I'm doing a lot of creative work but I also read a lot (at least in my head), maybe 1-2 hours/day, taking notes and writing a journal everyday. BUT, I've also tested to turn the TT feature off and got less strain. However, my eyes take a beating when the TT is off and I've been working a lot on my MBP/iMac from home/at the office and then using the iPad.

I would really recommend the Pro 9.7 after seeing your needs. You will use it for a long time, hence your mini so see it as an investment. I'm pro getting good deals and not spending money that you don't have to, but not being cheap for the short term.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I'm not going to answer like I'm 100% sure that it will, but most likely yes. I've been a iPad Pro 9.7" since just 2 months back and switched the True-Tone feature on straight away. I'm doing a lot of creative work but I also read a lot (at least in my head), maybe 1-2 hours/day, taking notes and writing a journal everyday. BUT, I've also tested to turn the TT feature off and got less strain. However, my eyes take a beating when the TT is off and I've been working a lot on my MBP/iMac from home/at the office and then using the iPad.

Hmm so you mean that TT will play at best a small part when it comes to preventing eye strain?

iPhones do have blue light emitting from it. Rather you understand what it is or not, here is a link below explaining what it is.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/iphone-night-shift-blue-light-affects-your-brain-and-body-2016-4

Ah you are referring to this kind of blue light... Thanks for the link!

mindyoursoul

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2017
Stocktown - Sweden baby
Hmm so you mean that TT will play at best a small part when it comes to preventing eye strain?

I'd say for me it plays a part against the strain (cant say how big/small), TT+ the Pro's screen type. Maybe in your case, if you're opting for the 12.9", its enough with the screen type. Its hard to tell depending on what you want. If e.g. you be choosing between different models in the 9.7" section, the iPP is a no brainer. The 12.9" options makes it a little bit of a struggle haha. But hey, I understand if you want the 12.9" iPad Pro, I'm with you there as its a beautiful device.

darkarn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2017
Singapore
I'd say for me it plays a part against the strain (cant say how big/small), TT+ the Pro's screen type. Maybe in your case, if you're opting for the 12.9", its enough with the screen type. Its hard to tell depending on what you want. If e.g. you be choosing between different models in the 9.7" section, the iPP is a no brainer. The 12.9" options makes it a little bit of a struggle haha. But hey, I understand if you want the 12.9" iPad Pro, I'm with you there as its a beautiful device.

Thanks, yeah, too bad the 12.9 doesn't have TT. Then again, seeing that I have no such issues with my iPad Air 1 as long I use a third party matte screen protector... I guess I should be fine with the 12.9 on this aspect.

Dualvansmommy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2014
For me, I definitely don't want the 12.9 as it's just way too bulky and big for my needs. I might as well just stick with my 21.5 iMac if I want big, kwim?

I need the portability factor as like I said in my OP iMac is in our home office. An office my DH takes over 2x a week when he's working from home, so I can't even get to it if I wanted to if he's there. Hence the need of an iPad I can take anywhere with me in my house to stay close to my kids.

The true tone is very appealing as I do use the night shade in my current mini ALOT and find it does help a bit.

It's such a bummer that the new iPad doesn't have TT though! As the iPP IS an older model and cost more??

How much of real difference it is with the 9.7 iPP to the new iPad in terms of speed and ease? I browse the internet a lot and would hate lagging.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
OP: I just bought a 9.7 iPP and desired portability (I will see how that goes.) As someone who also uses f.lux on my iMac and Night Shift on my iP7+, True Tone on my new iPP 9.7 is pretty great. Very little eye strain.

As far as lag, I hit a snag with YouTube yesterday but lately Google seems to play less nice on my Apple products than in the past. (Just giving my particular example.) Something to note, my iPP came shipped with 10.2.1 so that lag may change going forward once I upgrade the OS after the 2 week return window.

Whatever you may chose, enjoy it!

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Besides eye strain argument, I'd hope that the iPad Pro 9.7 offers more advantages to the new iPad 2017, for the price difference between the two...

Audio is dramatically better, its faster, has a better camera with a flash, pencil support, display has richer colours.

Reactions: Essaux
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.