new "iPad 3" case

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gorion, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Gorion macrumors member

So I was browsing iPad cases on Amazon and came across this case.

I found it amusing how the case's name included iPad 3 in it when the next iPad hasn't been officially announced yet. :D

2. VinceDae macrumors regular

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Call me a skeptic. But given Apple's well earned reputation for effective secrecy, how would the manufacturer have the external specs on iPad 3. The fact that Amazon says the case will fit the iPad 3 means little to me. All the rumors (and they are just that) suggest likely changes in form factor.

Probably the most significant of those RUMORS is a change in the camera opening. A small change in thickness of the iPad 3 might not make much difference in the case ( if it is not a tight fit). But if there is a change in the camera opening, or position, something that fits iPad 2 would not fit an iPad 3, unless the openings were huge.

4. maclook macrumors 65816

I can't explain it but some case makers knew the iPad 2's case design. Here's one example from a quick google search:
    http://www.slashgear.com/more-ipad-2-cases-leak-for-second-gen-apple-slate-15126585/
    January 15th 2011, two months before the iPad 2 came out, this case had everything right from the camera to the speaker grill to the tapered body. Here's a youtube video from Dec 24 2010:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTFYnLn_qNo&feature=player_embedded#!
    This wasn't isolated and it seemed like many people were making iPad 2 cases months before it was even announced.

This OP's case isn't form fitting enough to assume they know anything about the iPad 3. It's not hard for me to believe that MIC Gadget got a hold of the iPad 3's body though after the iPad 2 case situation from last year.

5. Gorion thread starter macrumors member

It makes me think twice when looking for a new case.. at least initially when the next iPad is released.

6. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

haha! Looks like they want to increase sales!
    Unless someone needs to buy one for the iPad 3 that they own.

7. erawsd macrumors 6502

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. Yea there was a case that looked a lot like the iPad 2, but there were 1000 others that had it wrong. You can also look at what just happened with the iPhone 4S, there were a bunch of Chinese cases that "proved" a larger screen and thinner design.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Manufacturers always try to guess the dimensions to be the first offerers of accessories. This happened with previous generations iOS devices.
    Not surprised to see another one.

9. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Apple is a major industry as we all know and theres enormous business in accesiries like cases. You can be sure the chinese factory that churns out cases for different wholesalers and retailers has had the specs from apple under confidentiality and are making cases and other crap they want us to buy. Within days of the ipads release the market will start to get flooded with stuff for the 3. The day the 2 came out there were cases for it including that terrible overoriced thing apple was selling.